No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Writers block

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
    We work with our minds, if our minds become injured they may need some time to heal.

But this also gets into the pre-pro vs. pro thing: a professional athlete sometimes plays when they are injured. A professional writer *often* writes when they don't want to.

The problem is when Writer's Block is used as an excuse for not doing anything, rather than used when there is a real problem that *needs* to take over all of your mind. *Many* people work through bad times - and the work helps to heal them.

- Bill
    That's pretty dope, Bill.

Writing as therapy. I can dig it.

Comment

I think writing for the day job broke me of the fear that "no one will validate me if it's not perfect." After awhile you develop a detachment and objectivity that carries over to the writing-for-me stuff.

I write all the time -- I've outlined a novellette a couple weeks ago and have been going gangbusters since. I've also written and floated some essays on a topic dear to me in the last few months. I write all day for the freelance gigs.

And when I first started, and fell in love with, screenwriting I was knocking out scripts. But then the reality of breaking in set in. And maybe it's the practical side of me but when I have a free hour between clients, I find myself opening then closing the script file, and opening my other "for me" files, because there's that feeling of, "Why bother?"
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I think writing for the day job broke me of the fear that "no one will validate me if it's not perfect."
        Associating validating with perfection will destroy anyone's desire to write. It's even worse when the self esteem is down along with it.

Comment

Working...
        X