X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Opinion: Write by Guru = Paint by Number

This is a Paint by Number painting:
    http://www.paintbynumbermuseum.com/node/1231

This is for people who aren't artists. In order to do it right you have to follow the rules. The better you follow the rules, the better the Paint by Number painting looks. Stay exactly in the lines. Use exactly the colors you are instructed to use and you'll have the best Paint by Number painting possible.

This is not a Paint by Number painting:
    http://www.globeimages.net/data/medi...e_painting.jpg

Or you can have some innate talent and/or desire to paint. You can learn more with instruction from real, successful painters and by studying paintings by painters who know/knew how to paint. Sure you need to know the basics and you need to practice but eventually you need to move onward and upward and create your own paintings.

It should be obvious that the best Paint by Number painting possible doesn't come close to a painting by a real artist with even moderate skills.

The way I see it, Write by Guru is the same as Paint by Number. The Guru is telling you what lines you can't cross. He's telling you what writing tools you can't use. He's keeping you hemmed in. If you follow his letter of the law, there is no way you'll ever surpass him. The best you can hope for is to equal him.

It should be obvious that the best Write by Guru screenplay possible doesn't come close to a screenplay by a real writer with even moderate skills.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Re: My Opinion: Write by Guru = Paint by Number

I'm pretty sure you're aware that there's a recently locked thread on this subject. I'm guessing that because you posted in it 30 times.

Not sure if you're trying to throw one last punch or continue the conversation indefinitely, but the admin made his sentiments clear: "the beaten horse is now dead and buried at this point."

Comment

Working...
    X