Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A strange slump

Everything here is great stuff, and I appreciate everyone's response! The bottom line I think is I've been relying too much on whether I feel like writing or not, and maybe blaming it on other things. Like someone said - I don't always feel like going to work, but it's not an option. I have to approach my writing with the same commitment.

This has been a great reality check and I'm really glad I asked! Again, thank you everyone..

Chip
    My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

Re: A strange slump

I agree with forcing yourself to write even if you're not in the mood, but I think you need to have hardset deadlines as well. When you're writing on spec, I think that's the main value of things like contests and pitchfests. It gives you deadlines to work toward.

And then keep things realistic. If you are working 40-50 hours at the real job and you have a family, I think you keep your page per day average to something like 3 per day, knowing that some days you'll be lucky to get 1, but other days you might pump out 5. 3 pages per day means a draft is done in roughly a month (assuming you've done a proper outline and stick to it). Tell your wife and family that this month is yours and after it's over, you'll make up the time and do extra housework or whatever.

I've also found that my writing is seasonal for some reason. I write much more from late summer to late spring. Probably something to do with family activities, etc., but even when I'm not as active in the summer because IT'S SO FREAKING HOT, I still don't write much (except for on Done Deal).

Also, most importantly, don't be too hard on yourself.

And, of uttermost importance, don't be too easy on yourself.
      On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Working...
      X