Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dialoque for demographic

I learned from the school of Whedon. I don't try to use the current slang, I just write how my characters would talk... which may lead to creating new slang...

All seriousness, listen to the voice of your characters. Don't make them say things they wouldn't naturally say.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy View Post
      This thread reminds me of JUNO.

Could I write a pregnant teen?

I'd have to find one and shadow her. Lift the dialogue. Better still, make her write the character.
      I have never in my life met any human being of any age that spoke like any character in Juno.

In the same way, I've never met anyone who spoke live *every* character on that series "Brothers and Sisters."

Or for that matter, anyone who ever talked like every character in any series written by Aaron Sorkin.

But so what? Dialogue isn't supposed to like real life. At best it may, under some circumstances give a *sense* of verisimilitude, but often there isn't even the pretense of that.

It's all artificial and the audience understands and accepts a certain level of artificiality in the dialogue the same way they accept a level of artificiality in the fictional universes that we create generally.

The point is -- does the dialogue convey character and emotion and the world of the story effectively.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
        Dialogue isn't supposed to like real life.

It's all artificial and the audience understands and accepts a certain level of artificiality in the dialogue the same way they accept a level of artificiality in the fictional universes that we create generally.
        I think there's a "got to ring true" case here. Or at least a "research" case.

I know females, I'm around them all the time. But do I REALLY know them? (I've just asked one and she says I haven't got a clue).

Could I write Annie in BRIDESMAIDS or JUNO?

I'd have to run it by a female.

I'm arguing that it will be more effective if you get appropriate voices involved.
        Story Structure 1
        Story Structure 2
        Story Structure 3

Comment

there is nothing so jarring for me to read than a script that has been "jargonified". i feel i can spot slang lifted from the recent lingo dictionary a mile away. so much more important that your characters are multidimensional and speak naturally as you conceive them. less is way more here.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy View Post
            I think there's a "got to ring true" case here. Or at least a "research" case.

I know females, I'm around them all the time. But do I REALLY know them? (I've just asked one and she says I haven't got a clue).

Could I write Annie in BRIDESMAIDS or JUNO?

I'd have to run it by a female.

I'm arguing that it will be more effective if you get appropriate voices involved.

Well, there's a difference between a "voice" that emerges from character -- from getting a real sense of what it is that drives somebody, whether it's a man or woman or someone who's twenty-two or twelve or sixty, and trying to plug into some kind of contemporary (and thus necessarily ephemeral) jargon.

All of these various characters are representational. Audiences accept them as iconic and so they accept a certain amount of exaggeration, even in movies that are supposed to be essentially realistic.

Characters in movies speak in a more coherent and incisive way, in a funnier or more moving way, then the way people in the real world do, for the same reason that characters in movies are, for some strange reason, much more attractive, as a rule then people you tend to meet in the real world are.

It's because they're not real people. They're representations -- they're sort of idealized versions of people who look better, sound better, make more sense, speak better. Their lines are cleaner, their journeys uncluttered, their resolutions unmarred by side issues.

That's why movies make sense in a way that real life never does and never can.

Comment

There is nothing worse then reading lame slang. Especially when people try to write ethnic characters. You should always examine where your character comes from, their environment, and background. That will help determine how they speak.

But I do believe slang should be used in characters' speech. I hate robotic speaking characters. Characters should talk like they have some flavor in scripts.

Comment

Working...
              X