Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speeling mistokes & Typos?

You shouldn't have ANY mistakes - grammar or punctuation.
    It's your responsibility as a writer (and that's what you're striving for, right?) to make sure that you have none.

Comment

I used to be a copy editor for a newspaper. It didn't matter how carefully I read something, one or two mistakes always fell through the cracks. Proofread the best you can, but don't beat yourself up if there's a mistake. If your script is good, minor errors are not going to get it thrown in the trash. Errors that make your script unreadable - that's a different issue.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
        You see, this simply demonstrates my fundamental immaturity.

Because when confronted with anything that lets me type something in at random and have it played back by an attractive woman's voice, I can't resist typing in, "Hey, you look like a heaping mountain of cottage cheese stuffed into a sock." and then running it down through all the various voices -- Caitlin in her Irish English, Heather in her Scottish English, Jess in her Northern English -- and just finding it hilariously funny every time.

Which goes to show that it just doesn't take much to make me laugh.

NMS
        Right there with ya'. I lost a half hour of productivity with this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by crs24 View Post
          Try proofreading by reading the screenplay backwards. Not the words, of course, but take the pages in reverse order. Or even take them in random order. Keeps you focused on the words in front of you.
          I use swift talker voice program.

I take things i write and place it in voice talker and listen to it. It makes it much easier to spot mistakes. It's like another person reading back out loud what I wrote. It really helps me out when I do that. I have to keep stopping it, make my corrections and then play it over again.I have been doing that for a couple of years now.

Comment

Originally posted by kenp View Post
            You shouldn't have ANY mistakes - grammar or punctuation.
            It's your responsibility as a writer (and that's what you're striving for, right?) to make sure that you have none.
            Ridiculous, dude. Mistakes happen. We know that. It's the human element. We're willing to overlook a spelling mistake here and there because we, too, are not perfect.

No one is perfect. No writers. No readers. Not even you.

Comment

I've been reading a Herbet Selby Jnr book 'Requiem for a Dream'. It's full of spelling mistakes, and poor, no, grammar too. And this was a respected writer.
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                Ridiculous, dude. Mistakes happen. We know that. It's the human element. We're willing to overlook a spelling mistake here and there because we, too, are not perfect.

No one is perfect. No writers. No readers. Not even you.
                Still, you strive to eliminate typos and spelling mistakes so that fewer will make it through.
                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                  I've been reading a Herbet Selby Jnr book 'Requiem for a Dream'. It's full of spelling mistakes, and poor, no, grammar too. And this was a respected writer.
                  So, what's your point? Don't proofread your script and ignore typos and spelling mistakes? It's one thing to realize that a few typos or spelling mistakes will invariably slip through -- it's quite another to feel "entitled" to allow them to slip through. You always want to send your best work, and that means proofreading and (hopefully) finding others to proofread as well.
                  STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

ATB,

Let's just say we agree to disagree...

It's a disgrace to accept the premise that "it's a fact" that mistakes will get through.

And I hate to burst your bubble; my specs don't contain typos, etc.

You want to know why???

After my outlining, writing, and then rewriting based on my manager's/agent's notes - I take the time to proof each page again and again.

I'm not saying that the story/dialogue/writing isn't the most important thing, because it is... but you've got to spend the time and get your mistakes/errors down to zero.

It IS expected and it IS possible.

To think otherwise is wrong... and lazy (some people care to eliminate them... and some don't)
                    Last edited by kenp; 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

A handful of typos will be overlooked and other mistakes (their/there) will be forgiven if clearly a rare misstep.

Consistent and abundant typos and errors simply sends the wrong message to the recipient. Either, the writer can't write, or they don't take pride in their work. The only time I get irked by typos is if it's blindingly obvious the author hasn't even re-read their work.

At minimum, you should read your material 4 or 5 times before giving it to anyone. The reading-backwards technique is effective. Also, if you read on an Ipad or a computer, print it out and read a hard copy.

BTW, after 6000 plus scripts, I'm convinced the most common typo is "loose/lose."
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                        BTW, after 6000 plus scripts, I'm convinced the most common typo is "loose/lose."
                        Interesting. I would have expected it to be "it's/its," which seems ubiquitous.

Comment

Originally posted by kenp View Post
                          I'm not saying that the story/dialogue/writing isn't the most important thing, because it is... but you've got to spend the time and get your mistakes/errors down to zero.
                          That time may be better-used by improving your story. A great story with a few mistakes? Who cares. A sh|tty story with no mistakes? Pass.

I comb my script for errors, too. But I do it while focusing on the story, while improving dialogue, by cutting scenes or adding necessary info.

By the time you've written, rewritten, edited and polished your script, you've read it upwards of a dozen times. Most, if not all, errors are gonna be caught.

If one or two sneak in? It happens. But I'm not gonna go red in the eyes and blue in the face trying to find the one instance in which I typed peak instead of peek. Gimme a break.

Comment

Again, let's agree to disagree.

Sounds like you can't be bothered about error(s) like that.

To each his own.

-K

Comment

I read a buddy's script a while back and gave him notes on it. One of my first bits of praise was that I didn't spot a typo anywhere in the damned thing. I was so overwhelmed I went on for a paragraph about how exciting it was to read such a clean script. I gushed. I praised. I probably made a bit of a mess in my pants.

And then a week later he told me that another friend had found three typos in the script.

I was devastated.

Devastated!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                                A handful of typos will be overlooked and other mistakes (their/there) will be forgiven if clearly a rare misstep.

Consistent and abundant typos and errors simply sends the wrong message to the recipient. Either, the writer can't write, or they don't take pride in their work. The only time I get irked by typos is if it's blindingly obvious the author hasn't even re-read their work.

At minimum, you should read your material 4 or 5 times before giving it to anyone. The reading-backwards technique is effective. Also, if you read on an Ipad or a computer, print it out and read a hard copy.

What ER said.

HARD COPY, DEFINITELY. DON'T EDIT YOUR SCRIPTS WITHOUT COMBING OVER A HARD COPY OF YOUR SCRIPT.

And go nuts with the grammar/typo reviews e.g., other eyes, your eyes, other eyes, your eyes, your eyes.

But don't go OCD certifiable insane; other eyes, your eyes, other eyes again, your eyes, your eyes, somebody else other than the other eyes to review, another someone else to check on the review of the somebody else's eyes who checked on the other eyes' review. That kind of nuttiness.

Save your OCD for "the wait" after you submit your scripts to competitions or agents/managers or prodcos. PACE YOURSELF!

mmm CAPS. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE THEM.
                                #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Working...
                                X