No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Writing Comedic Reactions

Originally posted by Armak View Post
    Neither the actors nor the producers nor any of the crew knew that pupils dilating is a physical reaction to seeing something you are attracted to.
    It's also a physical reaction to complex information processing in general - not just attraction.

If you give someone a sentence to listen to that they can understand (eg: "Should blind people lead quiet lives?") their pupils are normal. Give someone a nonsensical sentence to try and comprehend (eg:"Rains children milk golden usually medals") and their pupils dilate a lot more.

The same also applies to getting someone to do mental arithmetic.

So perhaps an educated audience member might have interpreted the scene as her trying to work out how much of a tip to leave the waiter !!

Mac
    (Read Pupillary Response and Behavior for more details)
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

First post. Picked the most active thread.

I try to find an action verb that best paints a character reaction without limiting their physicality to what I might see in my head (i.e., Alan balks instead of Alan does a double take) or a specific emotion that conveys the gist of a reaction based on context (i.e, Jerry, nonplussed, swallows his eggs.)

As Craig pointed out, I also find the sparing use of interior monologue effective. (Bill slumps: Oh poopy.)

One thing I find effective in comedic writing is killing cliches in favor of new descriptions to describe the action--if I want funny, then I might try to take the reader by surprise. Instead of "Gina rolls her eyes at Jim's suggestion," I might write "Gina manure-faces Jim's idea." Something different that conveys the reaction but elicits a smirk from the reader as it's unconventional.

Finally, a good place to gauge character reactions is no further than my favorite scripts. I browse The Internet Movie Script Database incessantly.

JoeNYC offered:

For example, "When Harry Met Sally.- The diner scene where she faked the orgasm and Billy's character's reaction wasn't in the script, but if it was, the reaction could be written: "He glances around and squirms uncomfortably,- which his reaction got a chuckle from the audience.
      The 11th revision (shooting script), is on IMSDB here, page 60, after the orgasm scene:

Sally finishes, takes another bite of her sandwich. Smiles innocently.

HOLD on Harry, in shock. And the rest of the customers and waiters who couldn't help but overhear Sally's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
        "Joe rolls his eyes" falls into a special category,
        I became frustrated trying to find a concise, umbrella term to cover "he rolls his eyes" and other physical manifestations of the same sentiment. I gave up. (Though, suggestions welcome.) I now use "rolls eyes" as a generic. IOW, not to indicate that specific expression, but something in that category. "He rolls eyes." That may look weird here, out of context. But in a proper context, it seems to work. At least with readers.

Originally posted by Bortz View Post
        I try to find an action verb that best paints a character reaction without limiting their physicality to what I might see in my head (i.e., Alan balks instead of Alan does a double take)
        Until I read your post, I'd never connected "balk" and "double takes". Now, I have an enhanced sense of the word "balk" in the context of baseball.

Comment

I write a lot of comedy. I never tell the actor how to react to something. The most I do is stuff like "Off Bob's look," or "As Bob reacts," or "Bob gives him the look."

Let them do their thing.
          Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
            I write a lot of comedy. I never lead the actor when it comes to reactions. The most I do is stuff like "Off Bob's look," or "As Bob reacts," or "Bob gives him the look."
            But even when the other character (i.e., the one reacting to Bob) has no dialogue?

For example, a guy's talking with someone; the guy's wife is with him. The guy says something, his wife thinks it's stupid - but we only know that if she "roll eyes" (or the like) while her husband and the other person continue to talk. Seems to me, I have to write something for her action.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
              But even when the other character (i.e., the one reacting to Bob) has no dialogue?

For example, a guy's talking with someone; the guy's wife is with him. The guy says something, his wife thinks it's stupid - but we only know that if she "roll eyes" (or the like) while her husband and the other person continue to talk. Seems to me, I have to write something for her action.
              It's the same thing.

Bob
              Sure, I do tons around the house. I'm a great fix-it-guy.

Off Sue's look:

Jim
              I'll call a plumber.

Also, remember that character is revealed through action. So Sue can crumple her hat (she's mad), or start zipping her jacket up and down (she's bored), or whatever.
              Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Working...
              X