Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Mixed Genre...

I come up with this problem a lot and I'm curious how other writers or seasoned writers overcome mixed genres.

Right now, I'm finishing up a Comedy-Thriller-Musical.

The script is in the vein of "So I Married An Axe Murderer". I have 6 musical sequences played inside a character's head through fantasy-sequences.

Is there any biased towards mixed-genre pitches? Should I just call it a comedy-thriller, and leave out the musical?
    Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Re: What to do with Mixed Genre...

What is the nature of the musical sequences? Are we talking "Big Lebowski" or are we talking "Chicago"? Ie. Do they move the plot along or are they just random silliness?

Comment

I think usually 2 genres mix well, 3 or more may mean trouble (as in - potentially unfocused story).

But I think comedy can kind of cover the musical aspects when you're pitching it or querying or whatever... so I'd leave that out and just call it a comedy-thriller.

Armak has a good question - are the songs (whatever) part of the comedy? I have a comedy-horror script where one of the characters sings some funny songs (because he's a Weird Al type comedian) and I never thought of it as having a musical element... just a funny character who sings instead of screams when really bad things happen.

I say - comedy/thriller (or thriller/comedy)... or don't worry about it.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
        I say - comedy/thriller (or thriller/comedy)... or don't worry about it.

- Bill
        Ditto -- because what it sounds like you have are music moments scattered in your script, not a musical. A true musical should incorporate the music sequences integrally to the story line and do just what spoken/written narratives do -- advance plot or develop character. The songs should spring naturally from the emotion, dialog and story building up to that opening note.

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
          Ditto -- because what it sounds like you have are music moments scattered in your script, not a musical. A true musical should incorporate the music sequences integrally to the story line and do just what spoken/written narratives do -- advance plot or develop character. The songs should spring naturally from the emotion, dialog and story building up to that opening note.
          Thanks. This clears it up. I'm going to avoid 3-genres. For this, I'll go with Thriller-Comedy. Exclude the "musical" label.

I'm inspired to have these musical sequences. We only see them through the antagonist's POV. Basically slasher scenes executed through music/dance. They seem separate from the story in act 1 & 2, but it's one of those ending reveals/twist where the "fantasy/singing" character is actually the antagonist.

This is fresh, so I'm still afraid to admit the script can work without the music/dance. It's going to the Mechanic in a couple of weeks. I expect he'll lead me in the right direction.

Again, thanks guys. I'll write/rewrite my scripts for 2 genres maximum from now on.
          Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Comment

Working...
          X