When to abandon an idea that already exists?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to abandon an idea that already exists?

I've just finished prep my latest project and I'm ready to start. Research and outlining took six weeks and I love the concept. Last night I decided to search the deals archive (I know, I should have done this first) for any similar scripts and--oh s**t. My logline, nearly word for word, was on a deal from ten years ago. It was untitled and setup through a major studio and was to be written based on someone's treatment. It doesn't look like the project was ever made.

My first thought was fvck, I guess I'll abandon this, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure. It's a tort movie of sorts and there's a lot of great movies about the little guy trying to defeat the big evil corporation. Does this fall under the same "gimme the same but different" category?

The specifics about the two scripts are exactly (offense/industry) the same but obviously mine would play out completely different from someone else's. I would assume it would anyway.

ps. I'm not being vague because I'm being protective of my idea. I'm quite green to the industry and I'm not sure if I'd be opening myself up to problems with this post should I decide to write it and it ever got any heat.

Re: When to abandon an idea that already exists?

ten years ago? don't worry about it

Comment

Don't. Write it anyway.

Make yours better.
      We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

I optioned a script that had a similar premise to at least two other in-development scripts. As long as your idea isn't JURASSIC PARK unique, the strength of your execution can set your script apart. Don't get too discouraged by parallel development. It's just part of the game.
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Looking at the number of sequels, reboots and remakes, and how certain genres have almost become franchises (because all movies look alike), I'd say nothing should stop you from writing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
            I optioned a script that had a similar premise to at least two other in-development scripts. As long as your idea isn't JURASSIC PARK unique, the strength of your execution can set your script apart. Don't get too discouraged by parallel development. It's just part of the game.
            Funny: when I watched Jurassic Park, I thought, "WTF? This ****'s a total rip-off of West World!"

Of course, it was written by the same bloke, which kind of rules out plagiarism, but it goes to show that elements of everything can be traced back to something similar, earlier.

This by no means that we should all stop trying to be original, but it may mean that execution should always be a writer's main concern (especially if it means that one novel concept turns out to be crap, otherwise).
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

If it never even got made I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

These kinds of worries could cripple a writer.

I was at the video store today and looked at the Statham movie Safe, and thought... oh yeah, I remember Mercury Rising.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess that's a resounding "stick with it."

Comment

Working...
                  X