Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripting action/fight sequences

So I decided to bust out that old DVD of Kiss of The Dragon (such a solid and unpretentious action movie) that's been with me for about as long as I've been collecting DVDs and give it another go after so many years. Can't say I was as impressed as when I first saw it, but to this day I still find it entertaining.

Anyhow, I got to thinking about how a screenplay for a martial arts movie like this is written. Obviously the fight scenes are not detailed at the scripting stage, but are rather developed along with an action choreographer during production. But if a screenwriter was to write a kung fu spec-script, s/he'd have to somehow plot out most of the climactic fights ahead, while still leaving room for an action choreographer to do his/her thing.

So I'm wondering, how is a screenwriter supposed to approach a longer fight scene like this?
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/144379...n_fight_scene/

As mentioned, obviously you're not going to write the whole scene with detailed action (X kicks, Y blocks and grabs X's leg and twists it, and so on). But then again, a screenwriter can't just write "they fight. X wins." S/he has to still dramatize the section to enhance the reading experience, right?

Does anybody have any experience, examples, or know how screenwriters have tackled this issue?

I'm thinking maybe it's still the screenwriter's job to describe, very loosely so, how a fight scene develops; describe the "dynamic" between the characters fighting (X kicks Y's arse because he's faster and more skilled).

Could the above video perhaps been written along the lines of...:

TWIN 1 is bigger, much stronger, and has greater range than LI. And he uses that advantage to keep Li on the defensive. --SUDDENLY --

-- BAM! TWIN 2 comes from behind Li and kicks him in the back!

Li gets up , engages Twin 2, blow for blow they trade punches and kicks until --

-- BAM! Twins 1 comes from behind and smacks Li real good! The Twins have excellent teamwork and are slowly wearing down Li by fighting as a single unit.

Li gets kicked into a cubicle by Twin 1. He's on his back. This fight is his to lose. But he takes a look around and gets an idea.

Li taunts Twin 1. Motions to him to get over here, challenging him.

Filled with smug arrogance, Twin 1 accepts his challenge and moves in for the kill.

But the confined space of the cubicle works against him: random debris gets in his way, his attacks become useless, he has no room to move --

-- And Li counters! Snaps back with furious speed, outmaneuvers the lumbering giant who can do nothing but get pushed back inch by inch. Until --

-- WHAM! Li knocks him back! The advantage is his!

Aaaand so on, and so on.

Would something like this be okay in a script? Or is that still too much micro management from the screenwriter's part? This particular scene is pretty short, but there are sequences in these type of movies that go on for much longer, that switch locations, and so on. But would it still be okay to write them in this manner?
    I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Re: Scripting action/fight sequences

I've written fight scenes in specs in a similar way, a "punch by punch" description of the whole sequence.

I've also just written in others "They fight.".

I just go with what works for the characters. If they're Jet Li type guys who speak with their hands and feet, then no doubt the fight scenes are an extension of their character more than they are (or at least should be) just there for the sake of some fun. And vice versa if they aren't.

No right or wrong way. Read a bunch of produced scripts and look at their action sequences. Most will be "punch by punch" - just not as lengthy/detailed as what you see on screen.

Once your script is into production, they'll just bring someone in to choreograph the fight scenes anyway. All they'll need to know is the location of the fighting ring, who enters and who is left standing when the dust settles.

But if it were me, I'd write it "punch by punch". You are writing a movie, so write what happens in a movie.

Good luck

Comment

The Matrix script is a great example of how to do this.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Write the espn version of the fight. The highlights are the most influential moments from the entire game/fight. as a writer that's what you would want to get to as fast as possible. Who wins? how? were they almost beaten and creatively found a way to win? Were they outmacthed and saved by fate?

What point do you want the fight to have? Figure that out. Draw attention to it. Play out the consequences.

Comment

Read scripts.

Emily's suggestion of THE MATRIX is great - and look at Shane Black action scenes, too.

I have written a bunch of martial arts scripts that got made - though the fight scene you write may only be a placeholder, it needs to ROCK or the script won't work. And, since a good action scene is a *character scene*, you hope that most of what you write ends up on screen... or you end up missing critical story and character info.

What Cyfress said - the fight scene is the highpoints, not every single punch. It also needs to be as exciting to read as the fight scene will be to watch in the finished film, so you use techniques like reversals.

- Bill (wrote the book on it)
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

There is an earlier thread with a stunt coordinator from this past summer that covers this from his point of view. As I remember, it has some examples. Wish I had the thread name, but don't. I think it was in this same 'screenwriting' heading.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              - Bill (wrote the book on it)
              speaking of, when's your book coming out?

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
                speaking of, when's your book coming out?
                I'm not Bill, but he's got new Kindle and Nook editions "The Secrets of Action Screenwriting" out already. I don't know if a print edition is coming or not.
                STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I just write awesome action that people love. It's my special technique that I use to make me so famous!

Comment

Issue with print edition is the rewrite ended up 500 pages... and I'd have to cut it in half before going to paper.

- Bill (wish I were as awesome as BDZ)
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

can't say I'm familiar with DBZ's work.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        Issue with print edition is the rewrite ended up 500 pages... and I'd have to cut it in half before going to paper.

- Bill (wish I were as awesome as BDZ)
                        Hans - (wish I were as awesome as wcmartell)
                        Last edited by Hans Gruber; 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          The Matrix script is a great example of how to do this.
                          D'oh! Such an obvious one. I had my head trapped thinking about Chinese kung fu flicks and the likes. Will check this one out, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                            Write the espn version of the fight. The highlights are the most influential moments from the entire game/fight. as a writer that's what you would want to get to as fast as possible. Who wins? how? were they almost beaten and creatively found a way to win? Were they outmacthed and saved by fate?

What point do you want the fight to have? Figure that out. Draw attention to it. Play out the consequences.
                            But would you say my example is along that line or is it still too detailed?

Comment

Your best bet is to find a script for an action movie you liked.

I highly suggest the screenplay for "The Matrix" for tips on how to write screenplay action sequences. I also highly suggest Nolan's "The Dark Night" script for how to do action sequences.

Comment

Working...
                              X