Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White action hero too generic but female not bankable

Was up in L.A. and met with some film people -- networking. Discussed my idea for next action script. The hero is a white guy, 30'ish.

An actor/writer who has appeared in small parts in large action movies said that the script won't attract attention because white action guys are too generic.

Then met with a successful film executive. Told him what the actor said. Asked the exec if he thought that making the action hero a heroine would attract more interest. Maybe even a minority woman, ala a Hispanic to attract crossover audiences.

He said no because (1) not too many actresses to choose from who can play action hero types and (2) male audiences would not gravitate toward female leads (usually). But Colombiana covered its costs and made a little money and Salt made lots of money (but they had a superstar in A. Jolie).

And the idea of a minority female lead would probably not work but he didn't elaborate and I didn't push.

So who do you believe? Stick with the white guy?

I've been following the old maxim of writing what I want to write with the characters I like BUT I don't want to bury my head in the sand either.

Re: White action hero too generic but female not bankable

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
    Was up in L.A. and met with some film people -- networking. Discussed my idea for next action script. The hero is a white guy, 30'ish.

An actor/writer who has appeared in small parts in large action movies said that the script won't attract attention because white action guys are too generic.

Then met with a successful film executive. Told him what the actor said. Asked the exec if he thought that making the action hero a heroine would attract more interest. Maybe even a minority woman, ala a Hispanic to attract crossover audiences.

He said no because (1) not too many actresses to choose from who can play action hero types and (2) male audiences would not gravitate toward female leads (usually). But Colombiana covered its costs and made a little money and Salt made lots of money (but they had a superstar in A. Jolie).

And the idea of a minority female lead would probably not work but he didn't elaborate and I didn't push.

I've been following the old maxim of writing what I want to write with the characters I like BUT I don't want to bury my head in the sand either.
    There's only one Angelina.

Guy number one is wrong. Guy number two is right.

Comment

They're both wrong.

I think the female-led Underworlds and Resident Evils have done well- and when it comes down to it, they are action movies- we're watching to see kick-butt battle scenes, right?

Takens are white guy action movies, right?

Generic or badly written action movies, regardless of protag, are not desirable, though. If you can imagine 80's era Stallone/Arnold/Van Damme, etc, plugged in as the hero, then don't do it!
      Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
        There's only one Angelina.

Guy number one is wrong. Guy number two is right.
        This is one of the rightest posts in recent history.

Always go with the white guy if your story allows it.

Comment

Yep. People want their straight, white, 30's male. This has been hammered into my head again and again over the past few months.

I'd love to see that change, but it's not about convincing the studios. It's about convincing the audiences. Best way I can think of is to write a great script with a great role for a white actor in his 30's, then surround him with great roles for people that are anything but.

Those are the roles that can break new stars. Break a new star, and maybe you get another Angelina or Will Smith. Maybe we finally get a bona fide Hispanic star, or a gay one. But I think, in this case, you have to work with the system instead of against it. Wouldn't mind being wrong, though...
          QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Great. Just fvcking great.

Fvck it. I'm still writing mine, and, yes, it's a female lead action pic. (However, in my defense, I'm making the lead character more of a female John McClane...I know, I know, not much of a defense, but it's the only one I got.)

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
              Great. Just fvcking great.

Fvck it. I'm still writing mine, and, yes, it's a female lead action pic. (However, in my defense, I'm making the lead character more of a female John McClane...I know, I know, not much of a defense, but it's the only one I got.)

HH
              Write it, dude. The unmarketable script you're passionate about will do a hundred times more for your career than the commercial script you hate. Just know that you'll face a few extra challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                Just know that you'll face a few extra challenges.
                You mean, other than I don't know what I'm doing, I write like crap, and I have to pee a lot 'cause my prostate is 128 years old?

Great.

HH

Comment

You mean, other than I don't know what I'm doing, I write like crap, and I have to pee a lot 'cause my prostate is 128 years old?

Great.

HH
                  Please. Not to get uncharacteristically gushy and shit, but I would actually be surprised if you're no good.

The prostate doesn't surprise me.

Comment

Look at successful action movies - lots of white guys.

Is the problem that the lead is a white guy, or that the lead is a boring white guy? The biggest problem is coming up with a new type of action character - something we haven't seen before. Too often writers have generic character types - things they don't even do in TV anymore. Then they put them in generic stories. That can be the real problem behind the "white guy" note.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Nobody wants to see a female action star, until they do.

There's only one Angelina, until there's somebody else.

Please don't apologize for making your protagonist a woman.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

However, in my defense, I'm making the lead character more of a female John McClane...
                        I wonder if this would work if McClane's wife were still the wife. (No, really.)
                        Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                        Nobody wants to see a female action star, until they do.
                        I've found that to be true about many, many things in life. Until they do...

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          Please don't apologize for making your protagonist a woman.
                          No one is saying that an apology is necessary, but I'd be amazed if your reps and recent meetings haven't led you to the conclusion that a straight, white, male in his 30's is a far safer bet.

I'm not arguing that it makes for a better movie or a better Hollywood. But it might just make for a better bank account. For that reason, I don't think the OP should fret over their choice of protagonist.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                            No one is saying that an apology is necessary...
                            I was referring to this:

HH
                            Of course a male protagonist is an easier sell. A white protagonist is an easier sell. A Young protagonist is an easier sell. And yet - Red, Book of Eli, Resident Evil.

OP's original protag is a white male; he should absolutely keep it that way. But if the script calls for a woman, write a woman. And don't apologize.

I've just heard the same stuff over and over and I get really annoyed by it. I thought Salt make it all better, but noooooo. That doesn't count because Angelina. Resident Evil doesn't count because Adaptation. Underworld doesn't count because I don't know why Underworld doesn't count. But movies that bombed - that's all on the woman.

If Salt had stayed as Edwin and it had bombed, would anyone have said it failed because of the male protagonist?

PET PEEVE THREAD.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post

I wouldn't get too hung up on the ethnicity unless it's specific to the story. Most dramatic arcs and themes are universal. Look at Dejavu. Read the script. It didn't say male and female ethnic leads, in fact, the names read kinda generic or white to me, and yet - Paula Patton and Denzel Washington played them. Say no more...

Comment

Working...
                              X