Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting a silent film?

I'm working on a short - no dialogue, although the characters do talk to each other and react to crashes and other noises. I envision the entire thing set to music, although I don't have any particular music in mind.

Do I just preface the script with that information or is there a standard term for this sort of thing?

Re: Formatting a silent film?

I did something like this a few years ago, and formatted it exactly the way I would a script with dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
      I did something like this a few years ago, and formatted it exactly the way I would a script with dialogue.
      So did you include the dialogue with (MOS) or just say something like "they exchange words".

There are a couple of times when the characters are speaking to each other - it's obvious from context what they are talking about but I can't just have them pantomime.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
        So did you include the dialogue with (MOS) or just say something like "they exchange words".

There are a couple of times when the characters are speaking to each other - it's obvious from context what they are talking about but I can't just have them pantomime.
        Just write their actions.

Does one slam their fist on the the table in frustration? Does one throw their hands in the air and stalk away? Does one lean in close with an intimate smile?

I could go on but you get the idea.
        il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
          I'm working on a short - no dialogue, although the characters do talk to each other and react to crashes and other noises. I envision the entire thing set to music, although I don't have any particular music in mind.

Do I just preface the script with that information or is there a standard term for this sort of thing?
          I think they're formatted and written like regular scripts.

I think you should put a note at the beginning to inform the reader that it's a silent movie just so they're not confused by all the miming and anticipating dialogue when there is none.

Comment

Have you read The Artist? http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Artist,-The.html

Suddenly, George, hamming it up, remembers something he'd
            forgotten, and asks someone from the other side of the wings
            to join him. It's Constance. She comes over, smiling to the
            audience, and says something to George with a smile.

Title card: I'll get you for that.

Comment

I guess we need to define whether or not you're going to have subtitles. I got the impression, no.

Comment

Just like a scene without dialogue from any other screenplay.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                X