Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character names list

maybe you've seen this or one like it before, but I needed some inspiration for antag, found it here.

hope it helps

http://www.20000-names.com/index.htm
    • Go and do likewise gents..

Re: Character names list

Have the Character Names Sourcebook, but this may come in handy. Thx!

Comment

I also like nymbler.com -- you can input inspiration names from either or both genders and get lists upon lists of suggestions for either or both genders, in a user-friendly format that's easy to skim.
      "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
      Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I use Nymbler too. It makes it easy to find names that work well together.

Comment

I use the U.S. census web site of popular names when doing stories that are specific to a time period. It's very helpful when your story takes place in 1900, for example.
          writertypepeople.tumblr.com
          twitter.com/susanlbridges
          pendantaudio.com

Comment

Final Draft comes with a pretty comprehensive character names list. It's the "Names Database…" in the Tools menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
              I use the U.S. census web site of popular names when doing stories that are specific to a time period. It's very helpful when your story takes place in 1900, for example.
              Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

(Or the ever-popular at DD - "This.")

Whatever year my story takes place (long ago or current), I figure out the year a character was born, do a search at Census for the top 100 or 200 names of people born that year, and then pick one. (That is - When the character is American and his parents aren't immigrants.)

I doubt it exists, but who knows... It would be cool if the US Dept of Justice, as part of its crime stats, had a public database of first names you could filter by age and crime. So for example, among males arrested for burglary in Denver in 1997, between the ages of 17 and 29, what were the 50 most "popular" first names.

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                This!

Comment

Originally posted by Pardack View Post
                  This!
                  This!

Comment

Originally posted by jcpdoc View Post
                    Originally posted by Pardack View Post
                    This!
                    This!

Comment

Years ago I found a baby names book that included polling of "the masses" for what people thought when they heard the name, what king of person they imagined when they heard it and what traits that person would have. Great resource.

Although it did really excite my mom when she came over one day and saw the book (long before my wife and I ever had kids) and wanted to know if I was trying to tell her something. I said yes, I am trying to tell you I need to name a character for my screenplay.

Comment

Originally posted by dave22 View Post
                        Years ago I found a baby names book that included polling of "the masses" for what people thought when they heard the name, what king of person they imagined when they heard it and what traits that person would have. Great resource.
                        WHAT IS THIS BOOK. Must have it.
                        "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                        Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

"The Baby Names Survey Book" by Bruce Lansky and Barry Sinrod

Comment

Working...
                          X