Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Naughty Bits trip through the Archives

I wish I had a better title for this thread. A title that would lead everyone's mother to force them to read it or else go to bed without any pudding.

Mr. Martell wrote something the other day that had the effect of ripping all of the essential organs out of my body and then stuffing them haphazardly back in, with the result that I am now thinking out of my a$$, farting outta my ears, trying to annunciate through my navel....Need I go on?

And here's the thing: What he said wasn't even very profound. But the Pros say sh!t like that all the time. Just normal, everyday off-the-cuff advice that every now and then the Heavens allow my ears to function well enough to hear.....And you know what's even weirder? They also take the time to say it in a public forum, so that we can all hear it, use it, and improve enough to take their next big assignment right outta their hands....And they keep doing this over and over and over, regardless of how many snarky/argumentative/defensive/well thought out but idiotic responses they get.

I don't want another year to go by without thanking all of the old/new/soon to be/Pros. I don't think there are too many professions where those who have made it are so willing to help those who hope to one day take the cereal off of their kids' breakfast table.

Sorry. Got lost in the ramble...The purpose of me posting this was/is, to say that, in an effort to do my current project justice, I took a trip through the Frequently Asked Questions Archive...A long, extensive trip, and oh my goodness, the Pros have been doing this for years...Which is why I started off with trying to thank them...Because it's ALL for frickin' FREE!!

So I don't care how long you've been at this, or how much you know, or, having once known, forgotten....Please, for the sake of all things holy, never be be above perusing through "Beginners" advice threads.

Otherwise, you'll miss things like:

Personally, I think Tao's notion of the COMPELLING IDEA is a lot better than "commercial idea." Why? Because "commercial idea" involves trying to guess what it is that executives want to read. What I often see presented as a "commercial idea" is a cynically conceived gimmick. Chances are someone else has already thought of it."

Capitalization, bold and italics mine.

Not that I wanted this thread to be about kissing anyone's a$$...Not that I'm not willing to do that if that's what it takes......It's just, ya know, it's just...

Humbling, in the best kind of way.

Midnite
    Last edited by Midnite; 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM. Reason: Editted to spell "navel" properly and not piss off any sailors.

Re: A Naughty Bits trip through the Archives

So what you're saying is Martell made you fart funny?
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
    Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
      So what you're saying is Martell made you fart funny?
      AND made it SMELL GOOD to someone other than myself, thus enabling me to fearlessly ride in elevators after a trip to Taco Bell.

Midnite

Comment

Taco Bell.
        We have that chain in Britain now and it's SH!T FOOD.

Maybe now people will stop bitching about "CrapDonalds"...
        Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

What the ef did I say?

Was if when I was confused whether the cute barista asked me either "Do you want some honey?" or "Do you want some, honey?"

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            What the ef did I say?

Was if when I was confused whether the cute barista asked me either "Do you want some honey?" or "Do you want some, honey?"

- Bill
            It wasn't specifically what you said, Sir, it was the mindset that led to the thinking that led to the saying....Or maybe it was simply the Mezcal worm?

But since you asked:

"Make the language issue part of the story.
            Every problem is the solution."

You didn't dink around with trying to figure out an English speaking country that would work for the OP's script, as if finding that ONE missing ingredient would somehow magically solve the whole problem.

The quote I dragged from the other forum, about a "compelling" story.

F$ck "commercial"....And the way to make a story compelling is to make EVERY SINGLE PAGE, paragraph/scene, as involving for the reader as possible....How can I mess with the Protag in ways he's never been messed with before.

It's the mindset of: Do whatever it takes to tell the story properly. I'm gonna keep the audience mesmerized by using whatever tools, broken rules, and boobies are necessary.

There are sooooo many threads here about tree---tree---tree--tree--

IT'S THE FOREST, STUPID!!!!

Hope that clarifies....My only prayer, is that Centurio and Grandmaster are not ProdCo Readers, because I just don't think I can trust them to "get" what my scripts are actually about:-)

Midnite
            Last edited by Midnite; 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM. Reason: Edited to add: boobies

Comment

"Edited to add: boobies"

Gold.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Really?
                si

Comment

Martell is all about Boobs. noted.
                  si

Comment

Boobies...Not Boobs....Big difference....As big as the difference between a pick-pocket and a peeping Tom.

Midnite
                    Last edited by Midnite; 01-24-2013, 11:58 PM. Reason: Edited to add classic Redd Foxx routine reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnite View Post
                      My only prayer, is that Centurio and Grandmaster are not ProdCo Readers, because I just don't think I can trust them to "get" what my scripts are actually about:-)
                      I was being facetious.

And a fart's all Taco Bell gets - not enough content in their chow to form an arse log.

And Bill's one of many users here who normally gives darn good advice... or at least an amusing post, but singling out everyone would lead us to become a community of self-praising hippies.
                      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                        I was being facetious.

And a fart's all Taco Bell gets - not enough content in their chow to form an arse log.

And Bill's one of many users here who normally gives darn good advice... or at least an amusing post, but singling out everyone would lead us to become a community of self-praising hippies.

Of course you were being facetious...And doing it quite well...And at the same time, keeping me from going over-the-top with praise for the Pros:-)

Because, basically, what I'd originally meant to say, was that the Archives have a ton of information that, whatever level we're at, it's not a bad idea to crusie through some basic, classic advice.

Best

Midnite

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                          Taco Bell.
                          We have that chain in Britain now and it's SH!T FOOD.

Maybe now people will stop bitching about "CrapDonalds"...
                          Gotta be better than soggy fish and chips.

You're right, though. We used to call it "Taco Hell" in college. Unfit for anything except sponging up the booze left in your stomach after a night of hard drinking.

Mazin, Lowell, Martell, NMS and others are very generous with their time and their wisdom.

I'm going to cure them of that.
                          If you really like it you can have the rights
                          It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

I'm in the mood for Taco Bel...

Comment

"Soggy"?
                              Yuck, were you in the wrong chippy...

Or you used too much onion vinegar - now why do most foreigners find that idea abhorrent?

Definitely some good info' to be found here via the Search option though, and FYI: Bill has a blog and book.
                              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Working...
                              X