No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insecure vs Secure

Originally Posted by Jon Jay
    I also know that has no relation to whether I'll have a successful career as a writer. And in a weird way, accepting that is what makes me feel secure.
    I've recently embraced this mindset and it's quite liberating.
    I agree with this good point, too, and I've found it helps with a lot of things in life.

It's hard to explain, but it's kind of like finding that sweet spot of not caring while still caring. Or maybe it's not caring about certain aspects, but caring deeply about others. I don't know. But trying too hard can really gum up the works.
    On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
      I agree with this good point, too, and I've found it helps with a lot of things in life.

It's hard to explain, but it's kind of like finding that sweet spot of not caring while still caring. Or maybe it's not caring about certain aspects, but caring deeply about others. I don't know. But trying too hard can really gum up the works.
      I think it's just caring about the writing and not caring about the success.
      Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
        I like that these pointless, psychological, and not-screenwriting questions are posted in "About the Craft" when it has absolutely nothing to do with the craft.

Yeah, I didn't just walk on by, either. Sue me.
        You must be insecure.

I bet you write in coffee shops, don't you?

Comment

Totally agree with NMStevens. Describes my personality type pretty well.

I work best by myself. I need time alone. To think. To relax. To decompress.

Being social zaps my energy. Holidays, birthdays, get-togethers, etc. I'm exhausted afterwards.

But I can do it. I can be around others, work with others. It's just a little harder for me. It's an effort. Doesn't come easy.

Notes calls. Calls with producers, with talent. It's a struggle to keep up. But I do it because that's part of being a screenwriter. You have to. You must interact with others because movies are a collaborative enterprise. Collaborate or die, basically.

Comment

Originally posted by KWhit View Post
            You must be insecure.

I bet you write in coffee shops, don't you?
            I thought that was obvious.

Comment

With the right people I'm fine. I make jokes. I've been to parties, writer's groups, networking get-togethers, for example, where everyone is selling their self usually hard to get to the business card exchange, and talking only shop and I mean only shop. I have no problem talking shop, or handing out a business card, but I think to myself "damn new Josh or new Jennifer just relax and share something that doesn't have to do with the world of movies or story." To me, it's less exhausting to be around a person then salespeople. Of course, pitchers of martinis makes it easier. But carrying around my own pitcher just would give me a bad rep, plus the po-po frown upon it.

It's ironic because one thing I realized in my social circles in Chicago I was longing for someone to talk film with person to person. I was the only screenwriter wannabe in my corner of the universe for most of my life. Being in LA, I long for someone to talk about the big fail that is the Southern California highway system, or the big fail that is the LA "public transportation" system, or a place to go to that has a cool jukebox or a place that has great carne asada.

My writing has caught up to my confidence.

And I write in coffeehouses on a 48" monitor, usually with a hard copy of one of my scripts, spread out on the table.
              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I'm secure in the knowledge that I have the ability to write well. This doesn't mean everything I've written is any good - I look back at some of my first efforts and cringe. But at the time, it was the best I could do. My best gets better.

I'm not terribly secure in person, though. I'm one of those "says inappropriate things even though her brain is screaming at her to STFU as the words are coming out of her mouth" types. I blurt. I'm a blurter.

Comment

I have my moments of both, but I am fairly secure.....I'm not cocky. The more I learn the less I realize I know.

Comment

Without reading this whole thread, I would venture to say that many artistic types have both a huge ego and massive insecurities all at once. But these obviously manifest themselves in different ways -- a writer might be camera shy but a pain in the ass when it comes to altering her work for producers. An actor might be spotlight hungry but eager to kiss ass on set and get as much attention as possible as the Person Everybody Loves (well, up until a certain level of fame, maybe). There are many famous, awarded artists who won't watch their own films / read the reviews of their books, etc. I once read that Letterman got nearly sick to his stomach before every show, so terrified was he that it would be crap.

I think it just comes with the territory. And I think writers are especially prone to that whole thing, for a bunch of yadayada reasons.

Comment

As a writer, I'm very secure. As a human being, not really because not a lot of people like an African-American male who's smart, quiet, thoughtful and deep. I don't have friends, so I write. I don't mind talking about or critique of my writing because I can take comfort in the fact that I can do what a lot of people can't.

Does that make any sense?
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                      X