Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loving Your Work vs. Respecting It

I never took a class with the professor that I am going to tell you about, but I had a good friend who did, and I think that a particular habit of that professor bears on this discussion.

The professor was a philosophy teacher. This was back in the days when people smoked in class, especially in seminars. That is hard to believe now, I know, but seriously it was common.

When a student held forth with some kind of interpretation or theory, the professor would stare directly at him, take a long drag on his cigarette, and say, "Shee-it."

I think this is how the professor would have reacted to the distinction between loving and respecting your work. The underlying assumption of that distinction (I think) is that loving cannot include the objective judgment that will lead to legitimate respect for your work.

I just do not think that this is true. At least, it is not for me. I cannot think of any writing of mine that I loved but did not respect. In fact, I cannot love anything of mine unless I first respect it.

But maybe that is all just me, since I am meticulous about craftsmanship.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I'm gonna cautiously agree with ComicBent.

I don't know about love (ask my ex-wife), and I don't know much about respect (ask anyone), and I certainly don't "love" or "respect" my writing. I like it a lot when it's good enough to be liked, but emotional tags don't help me out one way or the other.

Does it work? Does it say what I want it to say? Did I tell it the way I wanted to tell it?

I don't see "love" or "respect" anywhere in there, but that's just me. And luckily for all of us, there's only one me.

Comment

I will fall in love with ideas, story ideas. And I would have to to spend months maybe a year trying to bring them to life.

Respect to me is refining that labor of love so that it's possibly loved by someone other than me. That's where I see a distinction between love and respect.
        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

If you liked it. you should've put a brad in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Armak View Post
            You should've put 2 brads on it.
            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

TWO BRADS FOR SISTER SARA...

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yo Bill, Ima let ya finish, but I just wanna say Sister Sara had two of the best brads OF ALL TIME yo

Comment

Originally posted by Armak View Post
                  Funny.

I was just thinking -- especially after a writing session that lasted till 1 am this morning -- I often have a one-night stand thing going with my work. In the throes of it I'm turned on and loving it. But the next morning -- looking at it in the cold light of day -- Ugh. What the hell was I thinking. No respect for it, at all. And I have a strong desire to slink away when its not looking and take a cab home. Of course, I'm already home, so that won't work.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

LOL I always love and respect your posts SC111
                    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      Funny.

I was just thinking -- especially after a writing session that lasted till 1 am this morning -- I often have a one-night stand thing going with my work. In the throes of it I'm turned on and loving it. But the next morning -- looking at it in the cold light of day -- Ugh. What the hell was I thinking. No respect for it, at all. And I have a strong desire to slink away when its not looking and take a cab home. Of course, I'm already home, so that won't work.
                      "Coyote rewrite."

Comment

The love/respect thing is a matter of the inner critic. We all love our ideas. But on a scale of 1 - 10 how good are you in deciding what the quality of execution is. Most writers are piss-poor at this. They think everything they write works.

Only a strong and honest inner critic can make you respect your work.

Comment

Working...
                        X