How hard is it to write a decent script? What about good? Excellent?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How hard is it to write a decent script? What about good? Excellent?

Originally posted by Mr. Earth View Post
    To me, "excellent" is a combination of a great concept, but told in a way that pretty much throws out the formulaic plot points
    Lots of excellent stories stick to the plot points.
    Story Structure 1
    Story Structure 2
    Story Structure 3

Comment

My opinion on what decent, good, excellent means:

Decent can pass the August/Mazin 3 page test. They don't necessarily solicit reads but they don't incite umbrage in Mazin either. Scenes unfold organically. Dialogue flows. It basically feels like a movie. However, a decent script, imo, may hit familiar tropes and cliches and have stock characters -- but not in a hair tearing kind of way. If the writer excels in something in a decent script (like action/dialogue/character) the script could serve as a sample to create opportunities.

A good script does everything above but less tropey and cliched. A good script has voice. You get the feeling you've seen a pretty solid movie. IMO, a good script gets passed around and can catch fire.

Excellent scripts does everything above but in a way that the story sticks with you. You'll remember an excellent script years after you've read it. IMO, excellent scripts generate a lot of buzz for the writer.

IMO, decent scripts can place or even win contests. Good and excellent scripts gets you in rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
        Some people never get it. I don't know how hard those people actually work or how much natural talent the ones who make it have-
        For sure the factor nobody can know. I know of lots of "writers" who claim to be doing it but if after a year or two you don't have another spec to show then they really aren't doing it are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
          I write nothing but excellent scripts. Others seem to have a different opinion on that.
          That's really it. Right there.

Comment

Whence this idea of a linear relationship between effort and quality?

There are only two levels of effort possible for a script: lazy and not lazy. All lazy scripts are awful. Almost all non-lazy scripts are awful.

The notion that anyone would think they could "get by" or "suffice" at some intermediate level of effort between zero and weeping blood onto the page is just bizarre.

Comment

Working...
            X