Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenplay length and drama...

Unless you're thinking of this as a five-hour movie, you've got a problem.

There are a couple of possible sources of this problem. The two most common - and they are not mutually exclusive - are:

1) Your scenes go on too long. You have a scene that only needs to be three quarters of a page, and yet you don't know how to write it down to that, so it ends up being a three-pager.

2) You are worried too much about setting stuff up, rather that getting into your story.

if you were on pace to write, say a 140 page script I'd say go ahead and finish it - with the caveat that you make sure you don't rush the end (it's really hard not to truncate your third act when you're already bumping up against 120). Since you're on pace for something 300-ish, I'd say stop, figure out what the problem is, and then go forward.

I agree with the suggestion to post a few pages to the script pages section. At the very least, we should be able to tell you which of these problems (or both) you have.

Comment

I already have an outline. I had trouble making it long enough and it's too long. I've almost finished it though (I'm using the five act structure) and I don't think I'll end up with more than 150 pages.
      As for cutting stuff out, I have a writing teacher who can help me (she writes for a living) and a beta reader (for my other stuff) who studied film and is writing screenplays as well and she said that she'll help me. She's very objective.
      As for those books, I'm a broke student who's saving all the money she gets for when she hopes to attend uni in September. I've checked the library five times and they never have any of these type of books.

Comment

Originally posted by Bookworm452 View Post
        I've almost finished it though (I'm using the five act structure) and I don't think I'll end up with more than 150 pages.
        You're adding two additional acts and your first one alone takes up more than half your projected length?

I second or third the suggestions to post the first five in the Script Pages forum.

Comment

I will. I can't remember either I put this in my first post but technically something does happen on the first page. The entire movie is a flashback and that's set up on the first page.

Comment

Working...
          X