Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up the story

As I read some reviews for the new (in the US anyway) Danish film "A Hijacking", I stumbled upon one at the Washington Post that starts out with (in effect) a story analysis which I found interesting/instructive:
    “A Hijacking” opens with negotiations. They have nothing to do with what will become the gripping Danish film’s central drama: the hijacking of a cargo ship by Somali pirates. Before that harrowing event has even gotten underway, we’re introduced to Mikkel (Pilou Asbaek), the Mumbai-bound ship’s jovial cook, as he’s talking to his wife, back in Denmark, by phone.

She’s so beautiful and understanding, he tells her, offering flattery to defuse her irritation at his announcement that he’ll be home two days later than planned, so that he can train a new cook. It’s the kind of small give-and-take that happens every day between couples, co-workers and collaborators of all kinds.

As it happens, it’s also taking place, almost simultaneously, between the chief executive of the shipping company Mikkel works for and a Japanese businessman, who are working out the price of a deal. Peter (Soren Malling), the CEO, drives a hard bargain, getting the price he wants only when he stands up and walks away from the table.

These examples of mutual concession set the tone for the film, which is less a thriller than a protracted negotiation set in a pair of cramped, airless rooms, hundreds of miles from each other.
    LINK to the full article

And so, (in a good way) the opening scenes "have nothing to do with what will become the gripping Danish film’s central drama", but they are "examples of mutual concession [that] set the tone for the film." Cool when that happens.

Not that movie reviews are dispositive of good/bad, but the film has a score of 98% at RottenTomatoes.
    Last edited by Manchester; 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM.
Working...
X