Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help writing a fist fight scene

What are some of your favorite fight scenes? Get the DVDs or Blu-Rays, find the scripts online & print out those scenes. Then watch the scenes while reading the relevant script excerpts. By the time you're done, you'll know almost everything you need, except for picking your own personal style for handling fight scenes.

Personally, I'm a big fan of how Michael Mann and James Cameron organize & write their action scenes. (And James Cameron frequently tosses in a CRUNCH! or a BOOM! or whatever).
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by bigwho View Post
      And Emily, I don't know if using those old school crunch words would be considered savvy in today's script writing style. That's why I was cracking a joke on using "POW"
      Use whatever style works for you. Those words are called "onomatopoeia" and they are a legitimate writing device. The main thing to remember with fight scenes is pacing, but there's more to it than just that. The fight should tell a story all its own and it should be part of the larger story, not just a bunch of dudes punching each other.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
        Use whatever style works for you. Those words are called "onomatopoeia" and they are a legitimate writing device. The main thing to remember with fight scenes is pacing, but there's more to it than just that. The fight should tell a story all its own and it should be part of the larger story, not just a bunch of dudes punching each other.
        Emily is spot on. Make that fight tell a story, and be as specific to your world as you can. You know what fight I saw that recently impressed me - the one in Now You See Me - because that fight with James Franco's little brother felt like it couldn't happen in any other movie.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
          Emily is spot on. Make that fight tell a story, and be as specific to your world as you can. You know what fight I saw that recently impressed me - the one in Now You See Me - because that fight with James Franco's little brother felt like it couldn't happen in any other movie.

Oh dude, that fight blew my mind. So clever.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Focus on how the fight changes the story and how the fight shows character - often by forcing a decision. Then use reversals to keep it exciting.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I see that Emily uses another scene of The Matrix in her blog. Such a great screenplay, isn't it? Specially the fist act.
              Naw, Dr. Vergerus, you must be thinking of The DomiMatrix, a different film entirely, on Pay-Per-View.

Back to being serious now ...

For the OP ... *fistfight* is one word. Spelling it that way helps when you make compounds like *fistfight scene*.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

OMG!!! That's too funny, man!

My keyboard sucks, but that was pretty good

The DomiMatrix. Now that's a movie I'd like to watch.

Comment

Grinning ...

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                  X