Structure/Beats of a Short Film (10-30 minutes)?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structure/Beats of a Short Film (10-30 minutes)?

I currently write features on Spec, but I'm writing a Short Film soon for Film Festivals, and I'm wondering what Structural,Story, or any other specific differences there are between writing the two?
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM. Reason: Cleaned out line break.

Re: Structure/Beats of a Short Film (10-30 minutes)?

Assuming it's a straightforward narrative film, same rules apply. Just quicker. My last short was three minutes. First 40s set up the main character and his situation. Next 80s showed the complications created by his actions. Final minute was his discovery and then a twist.

Personally I'm wary of shorts much above 10 minutes. You start getting into a weird area where it's neither one thing or another. Of course if you're aiming for a more weird, abstract feel - which shorts are great for - then just do whatever you want with the structure and story.

Last of all - watch loads of shorts. So many writers attempt shorts having watched tonnes of features but no short films. It'll open your eyes to just how much can be achieved in just a couple of minutes.

JJ.
    My stuff

Comment

Most Oscar winning/nominated shorts are well over 10 mins. From the Tonto Woman to Wish 143.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post
        Personally I'm wary of shorts much above 10 minutes...
        Oscars and Baftas always go to prestige shorts that last too long

I'd be interested to know what percentage of those filmmakers go on to have successful careers. Personally I feel that if someone needs 28 minutes to tell a 'short' story, they'll be the one pressing for a three-hour cut of their first feature. But it's just my humble opinion.
        My stuff

Comment

Working...
        X