Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeating Yourself, Repeating Yourself

I can't tell if I'm just depressed but it seems that I keep writing the same characters/scenes in my comedies... maybe I've just seen too many movies and read too many other specs... but ever get the feeling that you are literally just repeating yourself with every idea and screenplay?

What a horrible feeling... maybe it's time to change genres or do drugs.

Re: Repeating Yourself, Repeating Yourself

Here's a positive spin:

You might also simply be developing your voice.

Don't fall into cliches, but if you're good at something and it's not blatantly obvious to other people that you're just retreading the same ground, I'm not sure it's worth being so hard on yourself.

Of course, I'm not saying that you should purposely rehash things, either. Definitely challenge yourself. Above all, just continually push yourself to write the best stories you can. You'll be all right.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Raymond Chandler stated he "cannibalized" his own material.
      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

When I'm being nice to myself, I'll call it "variations on a theme", something classical composers would do often. And, it probably wouldn't hurt to branch out into related (or totally unrelated) genres to see if that feeds your Muse.

Comment

Working...
        X