How to write Slang and Shortened Words in Character Dialogue?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronaldinho
    replied
    Re: How to write Slang and Shortened Words in Character Dialogue?

Just want to emphasize how important it is to do this sparingly.

It doesn't take much to make this really tedious to read, and a little goes a long way.

Leave a comment:

• Why One
    replied

Yep, I agree. I'd go with apostrophe for shortened words too.

Cause is a different word to 'cause.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by GoldLane View Post
    I have a character that says things with words such as "goin" rather than "going", and I was wondering how to communicate that in the dialogue without it coming off as a typo. For some reason I find myself putting in "goin" like this: "goin' "
    Goin'

would be the best choice, I think. I've done, "get 'em," and use "c'mon," all the time.

If one character speaks like this it's okay (most of the time), but it can get tiring. Just try to be objective. I just ran a pass where I removed most of it from a good ole southern-boy character. Sometimes just spelling it out, offers the best read.

Good luck,
    FA4

Leave a comment:

• Manchester
    replied

Have you looked for an answer by doing a search here?

For example, for this particular sort of search, don't use the Google search field that's directly above. Instead, click on the Search link (to the right of New Posts), then Advanced, then narrow your search to the Basics forum, and then at the upper-left, enter "slang" in the Key Word field.

Apart from that, I see no problem with "goin'".

Plus, if you look around on the Internet, you should be able to find some scripts that provide good examples. If you find Fargo, you'll see it uses "goin'" 14 times; The French Connection, 11 times; No Country for Old Men, 22 times. Etc.

Leave a comment:

• How to write Slang and Shortened Words in Character Dialogue?

I have a character that says things with words such as "goin" rather than "going", and I was wondering how to communicate that in the dialogue without it coming off as a typo. For some reason I find myself putting in "goin" like this: "goin' "
Working...
X