Should my Frequent use of "-ING" Verbs be Minimized?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should my Frequent use of "-ING" Verbs be Minimized?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=47984

And that 7 Deadly Sins list may have been the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTMONK!!! View Post
      But if you use -ing verbs as descriptive clauses, it can add a lot of energy and visualization. "The monster lunges; snarling, spitting, swiping its claws..."
      So you're also advocating the use of semicolons?! Shirley, you jest.

Comment

Tony Gilroy does this to excess. Nearly every sentence. Doesn't matter. That's his style. If it suits you too, do it.

Comment

Good Lord, I just clicked on that monster thread that Jeff Lowell linked to.

I probably even posted in it somewhere myself. I know I have written on the subject several times in the last dozen years. I am not going to write a long explanation of it again right now.

Look, this whole thing is a non-issue if you just write standard English. Of course, the action is in the present tense, which may or may not be the progressive ("-ing") form. If you use what is natural for you as a native speaker of English, you will almost certainly do things correctly. Forget the utter crap that people tell you about active and passive. These are important concepts in writing effectively, but they have nothing to do with the issue of "-ing".

If you really need help with all of this, it would probably be a good idea to read that monster thread, if you dare.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

LOL I've just read Your Screenplay Sucks and I'm in the process of slowly rewriting all my description to suit those 7 Deadly Sins.

Glad I read this thread. Seems once again I've been caught out by expert advice.
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
              Good Lord, I just clicked on that monster thread that Jeff Lowell linked to.
              -- That thread was a classic. Since my opinion on this topic is in the thread that Jeff linked to, I'm not gonna post it here.

I just heard a sigh of relief from ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by SCRIPTMONK!!! View Post
                One of my favs Tony Gilroy probably averages twenty -ing's a page this way.
                I was thinking of Gilroy, too. Sometimes an an '-ing' verb is more economical.
                Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                X