??? What have you learned from reading lots of scripts?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ??? What have you learned from reading lots of scripts?

Less is more (as far as action and descriptions go)

Comment

Originally posted by robertcc View Post
      Not gleaning one single thing after reading 30 produced scripts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo
      Snicker. Snicker. Give yourself a slow hand clap. This contributes nothing and is a waste of time.

Many of the other posters have pointed to things which I agree on, and I too have also taken away from reading scripts, but didn't realize it until it was pointed out.

This especially:

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
      What I have I learned?

That "we see" a lot of these rules don't exist.

Only a good story does.

One should study other's works in order to learn how to craft their story, imo.

Identify the author's voice and in turn, try to cultivate your own.

Is there a magical number?

Each person is different.
      I guess it's just hard to measure the knowledge. However, I hope it shows in my future scripts I write.

I hope others continue with more constructive insight. I find this topic interesting.

Comment

I worked at a big studio in LA and I would read screenplays all the time. Easily one a day, every day. So I've read a ton.
        What I've learned:

-Even professional writers, suck at writing. These were people with agents/managers who've been writing for a while, and I would stop and think "how could they waste so much time with this boring, terribly written junk?" So that was inspirational that everyone is struggling and it's only your talent that limits you.

-If it's boring on the page, it'll be boring on the screen. Don't Be Boring! - I remember being so bored during some readings I would yawn so much my eyes would fill with tears. Wost, sign, ever.

-Comedy is king. - Everyone seems to favor these, as much or more than horrors. Probably because you don't need a lot of money to make a comedy.

-You know those boring parts in books/scripts/movies that you don't wanna read/watch? Don't write those parts! and if you have to, make it dramatic.

Out of about 100 screenplays I read in my first 3 months there, I can recall 3 that were only OK, and one that was decent, but still nothing great. It made me feel better about my writing because, yes there is a lot of competition out there, but if you're not writing ****, and you're great at what you do, the competition is nothing to worry about. I don't think Tarantino or Kaufman worry about competing with anyone anymore - because they're masters now.
        Last edited by Filmmagician; 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

What I've learned from reading scripts? How much I hate reading

What's fun is to read through an early draft, then watch the film (script in lap,) noting the differences. Let the Right One In (Let Me In) is a fun one to do it with. 50/50 (I'm With Cancer) is another. Our Idiot Brother. Young Adult.
          Last edited by bjamin; 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM. Reason: boredom

Comment

I would say that all the little weird sub-rules don't matter if your script is entertaining. I spent a lot of time agonizing over whether my writing would hold up under scrutiny as 'professional', then realized there isn't a single writer working today that doesn't have an internet message board devoted to how crappy they are somewhere. That helped me just feel confident for myself.
            Be entertaining, and write for yourself. That's my final answer.
            @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apparently, not a ****ing thing.

Comment

Working...
              X