Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Habits of successful screenwriters you've witnessed first hand

some of it comes with time, and some of it is truly innate. the "big" screenwriters that don't have it have short careers. its not believe every note you get, or take bad ones. people who are successful long term knows what sells as well as an executive does.

Comment

I don't know if this is a habit, but I knew a successful novelist (now deceased) who had a strong sense of what was cool and what would capture people's attention. He didn't chase trends or mimic others, but he knew which of his own ideas were more commercially viable.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
        some of it comes with time, and some of it is truly innate. the "big" screenwriters that don't have it have short careers. its not believe every note you get, or take bad ones. people who are successful long term knows what sells as well as an executive does.
        I hear you (and really appreciate your posts and presence here too.)

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
          True that. If you treat it like a job, it has more of a chance of actually becoming one.
          "Dress for the job you want; not the job you have."

Comment

Originally posted by PoodleTang View Post
            I want to be a male stripper.

Bill (furniture)
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by PoodleTang View Post
              I remember someone telling me that and I wondered at the time, what people would think if I showed up for a job interview in ratty sweat pants and a ten-year old tee shirt -- that's how I usually dress when I'm writing at home.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by Mustardeer View Post
                i once chatted up a dude who wrote Wedding Crashers at a local coffee shop. He was a regular. He would pull out his laptop from his bag, open final draft and literally start typing within ten seconds. I've never seen anything like that. He said he averaged ten pages a day. I'm lucky if I get a page a day so that number stuck with me. It usually takes me an hour just to get in the zone and get a word or two down. Then slowly by the third hour I'm getting something down. His efficiency really blew my mind. I've also seen a few working TV writers move their fingers nonstop for hours.
                Ten pages a day is about my pace. It sort of depends when I need to turn in a draft. I can adjust it accordingly. If I know I've got more time, I can turn the page count lower and write 8 pages a day. Or if I know I've got a tighter deadline, I'll write eleven pages a day.

I think a lot of that comes out of my early days writing stuff for TV where you really had to turn stuff out really quickly and on schedules that were totally inflexible.

There was a time when I could write twenty plus pages a day and turn out a screenplay in a week. I can still do that with a draft when I'm on a really tight schedule, but it would be tough to write a first draft spec that quickly. I've gotten a bit slower in my advancing years.

NMS

Comment

I slowed down over the years. I used to be able to write a first draft of a feature in 2 weeks. Can't do that anymore. Also I've learned to scrutinize my writing much more.

A month ago I had a burst of energy and a great idea and my writing partner and I busted out a hour long pilot script in two weeks. It felt good to get back to that pace. I think my speed depends on how well thought out my idea is.
                  Last edited by Deion22; 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

They tend to write stuff that doesn't sound like it was written by an eastern european, slightly retarded ********.

That's the only important thing that separates them from me.

twitter.com/skarter

Comment

Working...
                    X