Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewrites - how do you stay fresh?

I finished my first script and foolishly thought the hard part was over. I sent it out to get some feedback while I worked on outlining potential new projects. Comments came back and I merrily went to work on a rewrite. And then another rewrite. And then a few more tweaks.

And it improved. BUT, even after several passes, I knew I still hadn't fixed the main problem … just hidden it better. So I put it away for a while and focused on other stuff.

Then, finally, I had that eureka moment when I realized why I couldn't "fix" the issues and also exactly what needed to be done to finally nail down the story. Unfortunately, it requires a page one rewrite of a story with a lot of moving parts. Undeterred, I beat out a new outline and dug in.

And got nothing.

The thing is, I'm at the point where I've spent so much time messing about with these characters and this story that I can't even tell anymore if what I'm writing is any good. All of it just feels stale - even with the significant changes I made. I think part of the problem is that even though I'm really tearing it apart, I know I'm writing with an eye to trying to use as much of what I've already written as I can. Not the best tactic but I keep finding myself just wanting to be done with the damn thing and reusing saves time and effort.

Obviously, I need to step away from it again and hope at some point the fire comes back. My question is - do any of you run into this sort of problem?

I hear about people rewriting stuff many, many times. How you manage to maintain any inspiration and objectivity at that point?

Re: Rewrites - how do you stay fresh?

Every time I have to do some major rewriting, I have to gear up for it. It's not easy but time away from it gives me fresh eyes and perspective. I'm good at hiding problems too, writing around what the real issue is. I think time away from the project gives you the distance you need to find those issues. It almost sounds too simple, but you have to have faith it will come.

And you know what - don't worry about it. Really. This situation does happen to everyone at every level, all the time. Take yourself out of the situation and circle back when you feel solid about your choices.

Comment

Well, part of the problem is that you went out and did your rewrites before you were ready and knew what you had to do.

I really do think that we only have a certain amount of fuel in the tank for a given project. (Caveat: in my experience, getting paid definitely refills my tank). At a certain point, you're just done with it.

So on this project, your problem might be that you drained your tank on unimportant stuff, and now that you know what the important stuff is, its too late, you're done. So I would encourage you to avoid that kind of fiddling in the future. Plan your rewrites. Diagnose before you get into surgery. It might be too late for this patient, but it won't be for future ones.

Comment

Everyone runs into this situation sooner or later. The loss of perspective feeds into frustration. The frustration starts to push our fingers on the keys for us. The writing starts to feel synthetic. We lose more perspective.

Then we cycle off into doom.

When these things happen, time is often not enough to bring clarity. Try finding some local actors willing to perform your script for you... buy them lunch... and listen. It helps steer you back to the true nature of your task, which often gets hidden behind the misery of writing-- this is meant to be performed.

Comment

Ronaldinho: Well, part of the problem is that you went out and did your rewrites before you were ready and knew what you had to do.
          So true in general.

I think that the Roman poet Horace said something like "Put your manuscript away for seven years and come back to it." At least, that is what I remember from a course in literary criticism that I took at the university a very long time ago.

Of course, seven years has to be revised to some shorter period, out of practical considerations. But you get the idea.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Thanks madworld. Glad to know that I'm not the only one. As someone who sometimes has trouble seeing things through to the end, it was a worry. I think I will give it a while and then take Craig's suggestion since I do have access to a local theater group that has expressed interest in doing reads for me.

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
            Well, part of the problem is that you went out and did your rewrites before you were ready and knew what you had to do.
            Definitely true, although I did wait before starting. The problem wasn't so much not knowing what this script needed as a lack of understanding about an important rule in general. Basically, the moment I finished my first draft I knew the biggest problem was the hero's weak character arc. My problem was that I didn't understand that there was another underlying problem that was causing it.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of occasionally being the sort of know-it-all who reads or listens to instruction and sometimes just goes "duh, of course that's true" without really thinking about what a particular kernel of advice truly means. So I'd heard the admonition to be sure that whatever happens in your story must happen to this person at this time - but I'd never given it a whole lot of thought. Then, after doing a bunch of rewriting that only covered up the main problem, I was working on prep for a couple of other projects and noticed that with two of them, the character arc was coming easily, but with another, I was running into the same problem. That was when I realized that the issue free outlines conformed to that little piece of advice in a way that the others did not.

At which point I slammed my head into my desk a few times and cursed myself for being an arrogant idiot.

The point is, I started too early but if I hadn't realized my first attempts didn't work, I might never have realized what the real problem was. At least I can reassure myself that it wasn't in vain since it was most definitely a learning experience ... even if one learned the hard way.

Meanwhile, it goes back in a drawer for a while (I hope for fewer than ComicBent's seven years) while I put what I learned to work on other stuff.

Comment

I can't add much that has not already been stated. Anytime I'm in need of a rewrite, I force myself to stay away for awhile. I work on a novel or start in on a new script. Most often I'll edit my other scripts. This is also an impeccable time to read pro scripts to refresh my mind on how it is done.

If your a writer, there's always SOMETHING ELSE to write.

By that time, coming back to the original script, I'm able to see what is working, what is fresh and what is banal much more easily. When I'm reading something bad, I cringe; but when something I wrote makes me laugh, I know it was damned good, and it stays.

If I'm constantly on a single project, I get just as you do: I feel cold and distant from the work.

Scripts take time.

A lot of time.
              "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
              --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

My main issue with rewrites is that I already gave my best and bled onto the page, you're telling me that wasn't good enough?. Then I follow it up with some cursing and pouting.

Then I go back and, if I get lucky, I see the issue right away. Other times, even with other writers telling me I still can't wrap my head around the issue, so I leave it again.

I'm not really a vomit on the page then go back and fix it guy, which might actually be handier.
                SL35
                Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

This is your first script, right? Rewriting is just like anything else - it takes practice to get good at it. I think as you go along in your writing, you learn how to see some of those macro problems before you start writing and learn to fix them first. As you get better and better, you need fewer page one rewrites and more tweaking. It just takes time and practice. You'll get there.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
                    My main issue with rewrites is that I already gave my best and bled onto the page, you're telling me that wasn't good enough?. Then I follow it up with some cursing and pouting.
                    Haha! I do this too. Best to just get it all out anyway.

I'm taking the advice to just put it away for a while. Besides, in the meantime I came across the neatest little late 17th century fairy tale, the bones of which are just begging to be a movie. After all, having tackled an historical (unfinished - POV issue I haven't found the solution for) and a female lead action/comedy (the script in question), starting a project that probably should be animated will nicely round out my "things no one will ever want" portfolio.

Comment

I'm so glad you started this thread. I am struggling with the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                        Everyone runs into this situation sooner or later. The loss of perspective feeds into frustration. The frustration starts to push our fingers on the keys for us. The writing starts to feel synthetic. We lose more perspective.

Then we cycle off into doom.

When these things happen, time is often not enough to bring clarity. Try finding some local actors willing to perform your script for you... buy them lunch... and listen. It helps steer you back to the true nature of your task, which often gets hidden behind the misery of writing-- this is meant to be performed.
                        My friend insists on doing readings for his pilots - he just sold two - and feels hearing it out loud like this is truly beneficial.

OP, I think - at least for me - I had to come to the realization that a script is never actually "finished." Switching gears, once I accepted it's a constant work in progress, it helped me face the rewrites. It's a long road to getting a movie made, and once you sell or option the thing, it's only the beginning (most of the time.) There are those rare, wonderful cases when a director like Clint Eastwood signs on and says don't change a word, this is what I'm shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          This is your first script, right? Rewriting is just like anything else - it takes practice to get good at it. I think as you go along in your writing, you learn how to see some of those macro problems before you start writing and learn to fix them first. As you get better and better, you need fewer page one rewrites and more tweaking. It just takes time and practice. You'll get there.
                          Thanks! And yes, definitely a learning process - with one good lesson already under my belt. Of course, you did try to tell me this in your notes ...

Comment

Originally posted by MaryLP View Post
                            I'm so glad you started this thread. I am struggling with the same thing.
                            Good to know I'm not alone.

Comment

Ideally, I like to write a first draft, revise it so it's in a state where I'm okay sharing it. Then I send it out to a trusted few for feedback.

While I wait for feedback, I start working on the next project. Once the feedback comes in, I take notes, maybe jot down some thoughts on the rewrite, then I put it away and keep working on the new project.

Then once I have an ugly first draft, I'll pull out the previous script and start the rewrite. The couple of weeks really opens your mind to let the feedback set in. Then I go about creating a new outline for the rewrite and finally dive in.

Gointothestory.com has a great blog post on what he calls stacking. Same idea > http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...-projects.html

Cheers! Good luck with the rewrite!
                              I'm raising money for a short film I'm directing in March. It's suspenseful, tense, twisty and all the things I love about cinema. Read about it here: http://kck.st/1bbf4OE

Comment

Working...
                              X