Does anybody miss physical copies of scripts?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody miss physical copies of scripts?

Like physical copies of scripts? Three-hole punched paper. Adding the brads and cover pages. Holding an actual script in your hands and giving it to your friends to read.

Sure, I'm saving the small fortune I used to spend on paper and ink, but there definitely is something I miss about physical scripts.

Re: Does anybody miss scripts?

Not at all. I have thousands of PDFs of screenplays on my computer; I would not want thousands of hard copies in my apartment.

Comment

Not for reading, but I will confess that my favorite moment is printing out a just finished first draft and feeling the heft of it.

Comment

Hewlett-Packard does.
        Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

I prefer hard copy over digital. It's just easier to write notes on a hard copy.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
            I prefer hard copy over digital. It's just easier to write notes on a hard copy.
            Agree.
            Story Structure 1
            Story Structure 2
            Story Structure 3

Comment

The first time I read a script on an iPad, I literally took out a pen when I wanted to make a note. Felt like an idiot.

Comment

I like to print them out when I'm making notes or when I'm working on my own pages.

I do the same with my outline. I write out the turning points on a graph.

Very tactile.
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Trees don't.
                  " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

I'll second that. Also, I've discovered it's easier to get friends and/or acquaintences to read a hard copy. PDF's are great but get easily lost on all the digital noise and social media out there.

Two old friends/readers who had promised to read a script of mine ignored it in its PDF format for many months. One day I just printed out a hard copy of the screenplay and mailed it to them. Within a couple weeks it was read. Why? Probably because it sat there on their coffee table, a physical reminder, day in and day out, that they had promised to read it but hadn't. It was in their face and not as easily ignored.

Comment

Re: Does anybody miss physical copies of scripts?

I think they changed my title for the thread. Jez, I'm getting rewritten everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                        I think they changed my title for the thread. Jez, I'm getting rewritten everywhere.
                        Jez? You probably meant "Jeez." Oops... rewritten again.

Comment

Yeah, as a reader, I miss 'em...
                          But as a writer, I am SOOO glad PDFs are now the norm. Dealing with rewrites, corrections and small changes got 100x easier. No matching page numbers, unbinding and rebinding, etc.

Comment

What I don't miss about hard copies: those hole punchers. I had one (still do) max'd out @ 11 pages per punch. So if I tried to punch 12 pages the puncher would lock up and I'd hafta pry the pages loose or be forced to tug the pages free. Sometimes I'd accidentally punch holes at an angle, resulting in a top hole, middle hole and no bottom hole or the bottom hole would clipped the edge of the page(s).

Comment

Eleven pages?! Man, I was never able to do more than seven (maybe eight if I was feeling lucky) with my three-hole puncher.

And, yeah, that accidental angle thing was a killer.

Screw hard copies.

Comment

Working...
                              X