Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Habits When Writing

For years I've been on a ritual helping of Diet Coke and Goldfish while writing. Unhealthy, I know, but holy hell I have grown to love that snack combo tremendously.

However, I am looking to expand and better my ways.

So, I wonder: What do you all snack on/drink while writing? Have you any healthy options? Have you noticed changes in writing energy/endurance/quality as you may have changed to more healthy snacking options?

Many thanks

Re: Eating Habits When Writing

Goldfish?

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
      Goldfish?
      I'm sure he means these:

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Produc...aspx?catID=722

Not actual fish.

Comment

Ah. Don't think we have those in the UK. Now I want to try some...

Comment

They're the snack that smiles back!

Comment

Yes, I meant the crackers haha.

Comment

Celery's good.

Comment

I recommend dark chocolate. It's healthy!
                "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Frozen grapes. It sounds silly but they really are like candy.

Comment

Salty as Marmite. Supposed to taste like cheddar. They don't.
                    wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

I never eat while writing. I'll occasionally have wine, but not much. I will drink caffeine though in just about any form.
                      writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                      twitter.com/susanlbridges
                      pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by samtocilarul View Post
                        For years I've been on a ritual helping of Diet Coke and Goldfish while writing. Unhealthy, I know, but holy hell I have grown to love that snack combo tremendously.

However, I am looking to expand and better my ways.

So, I wonder: What do you all snack on/drink while writing? Have you any healthy options? Have you noticed changes in writing energy/endurance/quality as you may have changed to more healthy snacking options?

Many thanks
                        I have a standard "lecture" about this, because writing and poker playing have in common that they are highly-focused brain work-outs.

And that takes a tremendous amount of sugar. This means you battle chronic low-blood sugar. Goldfish are just white flour and chemicals, easily converted to sugar. Your coke is full of caffeine to stimulate you when your blood sugar is low. All of this will kill you over time.

If you increase your muscle mass you will increase your metabolism and covert fat to sugar in your body more easily. Lift some weights, IOW. If you take 5-10 minute per hour and do something - run down to get your post or put in laundry or do anything at all, really, you'll find it easier to covert fat to sugar. You will pump more blood and oxygen to your brain. Your work (writing) will be more creative and efficient.

Eating to maintain steady levels of blood sugar means getting high quality protein early in the day with a complex carb which takes longer to digest. This keep blood sugar steady. Try actual cheddar cheese, for instance. Apples have a high level of natural caffeine. Prunes and raisins, other dried fruits, are full of sugar but also fiber and lovely micro-nutrients for your brain.

Lastly, humans have a trigger that tells them they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. This comes from an evolutionary past where our ancestors lived their entire lives in trees and obtained all most of their water from fruits and leaves.

Keep fresh cold water on your desk and drink it.

And, of course, there's always tea. With both milk and honey, you get some protein and a bit of sugar.
                        wry

The rule is the first fifteen pages should enthrall me, but truth is, I'm only giving you about 3-5 pages. ~ Hollywood Script Reader

Comment

Originally posted by samtocilarul View Post

So, I wonder: What do you all snack on/drink while writing?
                          The devil's lettuce.
                          il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Baby carrots. Coffee. Pork rinds. Not all at the same time.
                            "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                            Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Coffee. Coffee. And more coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X