No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When a Unique Voice is a Problem

Originally posted by oceanbluesky View Post
    except you glamorize supposed uniqueness while criticizing those who try to determine if there is any validity to such a presupposition...perhaps "writes with a unique voice" is polite code for "weird, adolescent, clich├ęd cheese"

who knows...lol, you have 6 pages thus far of back and forth replies, often congratulating yourself throughout for being such a unique victim, so, it would seem fair to ask to see your writing

post examples here:
    http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...isplay.php?f=7

or here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/readmyscript

I am straightforward. My comments are constructive. "The difference between professional and amateur writers: inability to take criticism."
    Posting under an alternate name and avatar is truly courageous ...

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
      Post some pages. This is all academic if you can't write something that compels the reader to stick with it.
      I believe you once gave me a referral to a friend/manager after reading one of my scripts. He did not divulge your name, but you were the only person with the screenplay at the time, and you previously posted on DDP endorsing this person. (To be fair, I also sent you a couple scripts that were underdeveloped trash.)

Comment

Originally posted by GhostWhite View Post
        What do you mean?
        @oceanbluesky

Comment

One could say the same about you, ghost.
          il faut d'abord durer

Comment

Originally posted by GhostWhite
            You already posted these comments yesterday, and also deleted a second post where you repeated them. Your fractured writing style and incoherent comments mired in irrelevance make you a dead giveaway. The issue is people already know your comments are sometimes baseless, and you post constantly to that effect, so you use these situations to post under another name in order to avoid those who will berate you for doing similar.

You are hanging all over the entitled, narcissistic genius thing, and you're finding a lot of difficulty letting it go. I am here because THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH MY WRITING. I AM NOT A GENIUS. IF MY WRITING WAS CURRENTLY GOOD ENOUGH, I WOULD NOT BE HERE. I AM NOT A VICTIM. WHY DO YOU NEED ME TO BE ONE? Let it go ...
            buddy I post here under the same "alias" about once a month...my signature links to a Twitter page with my full name...I do not intend to be anonymous...I have never deleted any posts and edited one here in this thread to add a "d" or an "s" to a word (I can't remember which) to fix its grammar. Certainly no one knows me here, or has any opinion of my posting history or character.

Anyhow, good luck. Be careful...searching for validation of your inability to write commercial material due to 'uniqueness' may prevent you from fulfilling your potential - which, as a matter of fact, in my first post to this thread I thought very highly of...you are articulate, on occasion. (I was simply curious to read original examples of your work, rather than interpretations). That though is that. No more from me.
            Last edited by oceanbluesky; 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM. Reason: changed "once a year" to "once a month"
            @oceanbluesky

Comment

apparently he deleted that comment quoted above
              @oceanbluesky

Comment

Thanks again to everybody for the responses, and especially your time. I've received a lot of incredibly useful and intelligent suggestions and insights that have given me a better idea of how to proceed. (I'll post some new loglines in the near future to get feedback.)

The thread seems to finally be digressing into trivial matters, and I've written some very lengthy posts for consideration, so it's probably fair for me to contribute elsewhere on the site at this point. (I'm not trying to end the thread. If anybody has anything else to contribute, I'd love to read it; I just might not get back to it as quickly.)

Comment

I believe you once gave me a referral to a friend/manager after reading one of my scripts. He did not divulge your name, but you were the only person with the screenplay at the time, and you previously posted on DDP endorsing this person. (To be fair, I also sent you a couple scripts that were underdeveloped trash.)
                  Really? What was the title of the script?

Comment

If you find someone's posts offensive or believe they have broken the rules, there is a handy "report post" function attached to every post, and this will alert moderators to the problem. If, however, you simply do not like the other person's opinion, you are free to ignore them.

The likelihood that someone is an alt on this board is very low, and we do not tolerate them. If you genuinely believe someone is using a second identity, please report this using that magical "report post" button I mentioned above. If, however, you simply do not like what the other person has to say, please do not make accusations or take advice personally or engage in petty squabbles. Let's all remember that we're here to help each other.

And as our mothers once taught us, if you can't be helpful, shut your pie hole.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

So I guess the answer to what was in the box will continue to elude us. Boo.

Comment

My one suggestion is find a filmmaker or two. Go to a shorts festival or even any indie film competition. Find a filmmaker who wants to do Lynchian stuff etc. It would help if you had a script place in Slamdance, or even a Sundance Writers Lab qualifying entry...

The point being that it's a hard road to climb going through managers who want their writers to sell and pursue mainstream opportunities. If you want to make your choices find others who have the same sensibilities by finding simpatico creators/filmmakers.

Or... DIY.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Hi - some more two cents:

So, if my greatest strength is also my biggest weakness, what do I do to correct this?

Hopefully you don't think that your greatest strength has been fully developed. Bottom-line - get better. So, your previous material isn't gaining traction. OK. Either map out a way to make it better or move on to new material. The more you write, the better you will become. At least that's what my own experience has taught me. At some point you'll either find the success you want or you won't. No guarantees.

Do I need to accept there's no room for me in the industry as a screenwriter and make my own film?

Are you writing the best stuff you can and truly believe you are being wrongfully overlooked? Then yes. Make it yourself. But . . . if you have room to grow, then don't accept defeat and get better. The more you write, the more you will learn.

I really don't want to quit, as it seems there's at least some merit to my scripts. Has anyone else faced this type of scenario?

What type of scenario? Punishing self-doubt? An inner-critic that wasn't just yelling at me, but beating me over the head with a lead pipe? Not quite getting why others weren't getting it? Yes, Yes, and Yes . . . 1,000 times over.

If so, what did you do to steer the ship in the right direction?

I kept writing. I kept reading. I got better at receiving feedback. Better at identifying problems and having the confidence to know I was right. Hang in there - I think you'll be surprised by what you can do.

Also, if you are open to people trying to specifically pinpoint where your writing may be "off" . . . post some pages.

Cheers and good luck.

Comment

Writer-directors aren't a good comparison here. People like Lynch and Coen Bros are masterful directors. In some cases, the execution of their film is far more important than the script. If you're only writing stuff like Eraserhead or Lost Highway, there isn't much audience or you - those films were execution-driven anyway.

The most popular films of Lynch and Coen's tend to be narratively fairly tight.

Also, Kaufman's stories tend to be narratively tight and straightforward, despite all the weirdness. Audiences are not confused about what happened, and the events are plausible within the context of the film. Being John Malchovich, for example, works so well exactly because it makes even the most bizarre events seem logical and plausible. The rules of the fictional universe are clear and understandable. The character motivations are very relatable.

It seems that you have some good intuitive talent, but you haven't figured out yet what it is, exactly. Your talent, and the voice, is not the ability to write a confusing mess. Any hack can write a confusing mess. It's easy.

Maybe your talent is in writing snappy, funny dialogue. Or in creating memorable set-pieces. Or in creating distinctive, interesting characters (Those were mentioned in the positive reviews you quoted).

Excellent.

Maybe writing a good *story* isn't your strength? That's how it sounds to me. Writing a unique, yet compelling story is very hard. It takes a lot of intuitive talent to do it well. And it might not be where your intuitive talent is.

Like many others members in this thread, I would suggest simply stealing a straightforward, archetype genre story that's been done to death, and then re-writing that with your unique voice. Make it linear, let it have three acts, let it build like those type of films usually do. You can choose any popular template you want: A heist film, a haunted house film, a cop buddy comedy, a superhero origin story, a monster film, a slasher flick, etc. Or you can take a famous, often-copied film as your template: Die Hard, Halloween, Star Wars, Jaws, etc. Make sure that the very basic building blocks of the script follow a traditional formula.

Once those blocks are in place, you can twist every scene, every character, every line, every beat with your unique voice. I would imagine it could be fun writing it. And you will have something that is both accessible and original. Which is what everyone wants to buy.

Comment

I'd listen to the "but". I always listen to my butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X