Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character perspective scripts

I'm currently writing a script where it shows events from three three different characters perspectives, I know films like this have been done before, as I'm still new to screen-writing I'm wondering if any of you have ever attempted it and if so does deviating from the three act structure make it more difficult to be appealing?

Re: Character perspective scripts

I don't understand how that would deviate from the 3 act structure.

In the end it will be whether the story has a great hook/concept, whether it is compellingly told, and whether the different perspectives are organic to the story you are telling or just a stunt.

Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

For example the traditional script has a linear story with three acts, whereas mine has a linear story told three times through different perspectives to learn more about the characters and also certain plot details, is it still possible to use the three act structure with this? The film Vantage Point did this but I can't spot three acts within that.

It has a resolution with all three characters at the end which I suppose you could class as the third act.

Comment

You can tell a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end, so yes.

What you'll probably have is more trouble trying to fit your story in some of the popular story paradigms, but that means nothing.

The important thing is whether your choice of structure fits the story or it is just a gimmick (although style gimmicks sometimes work too).

Comment

IMO

Each of the three segments should have a three-act story. And the combined three segments should have some sort of three-act arrangement...Segment 1 sets up the story/characters/conflict, Segment two adds more layers of conflict, Segment three has some sort of resolution not as evident as in Segments 1&2.

Another example is the stage play Noises Off that was made into a film with Carol Burnett and Denholm Elliott if I recall correctly...Chris Reeve also. That particular play is done in about 20 minutes and is a little strange, then they turn the set around 180 degrees and let you see the intrigue behind the set for Act 2 and then in Act 3 they put the set back in the proper direction and they completely butcher the play they are presenting and now we know why because we saw the back stage rivalries and affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony94 View Post
            For example the traditional script has a linear story with three acts, whereas mine has a linear story told three times through different perspectives to learn more about the characters and also certain plot details, is it still possible to use the three act structure with this?
            The various theories about act structure are theories about the emotional effects you create in the watcher when you present images to them in a certain order, not necessarily about the in-world passage of time.

You won't catch me dogmatizing with "you must use three act structure!!!", and since only you know your story and the best way to tell it I can't even confidently say you really really should use it.

But is nonlinear storytelling possible in the 3AS? Not only is it possible, it is ubiquitous. Blue Valentine, Memento, (500) Days of Summer, Run Lola Run etc.

As for scripts that retell from different perspectives, the obvious ones are Rashomon and Pulp Fiction.

Comment

RUN LOLA RUN is the same incident with the same characters told 3 times, and is 3 act structure.

Act 1: You get your cat up a tree.
              Act 2: You throw rocks at him.
              Act 3: You get him down from the tree.

Act 1: Introduces the conflict.
              Act 2: Conflict & escalation of conflict.
              Act 3: Resolution of conflict.

No page numbers.

Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony94 View Post
                I'm currently writing a script where it shows events from three three different characters perspectives, I know films like this have been done before, as I'm still new to screen-writing I'm wondering if any of you have ever attempted it and if so does deviating from the three act structure make it more difficult to be appealing?
                You should still be able to achieve the three act structure. And if you don't and it's a great story, so what. If you're telling the same story from different points of view (Roshamon/Vantage Point), the plot points are still there, they're the same.

But they don't necessarily have to be the same for each (Crash/Go). For example the second turning point for one character could be the inciting incident for another or even their climax. They all have a beginning (set up), middle (escalating confict) and ending (climax/resolution).

Suggestions of films you might want to watch:

Rashomon
                Crash
                Vantage Point
                Go

Watching these a few times through could give you some insight.
                Best,
                FA4
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I'll add ELEPHANT to that list. And Bill's mentioned RUN LOLA RUN.

Comment

Thanks everyone as always very helpful replies, I'm gonna get this first draft completed and then check out a few of the film suggestions you've offered. I just got alittle worried about my structure and pacing considering it rewinds but everything there tells us more about the events and characters so gonna keep trusting my instincts, thanks! Here you go

Comment

Take a look at 11:14 I think you'll find the acts are still there
                      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X