Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POV question regarding naming characters

In the opening of my script we follow a character as he is introduced to a new world. I wanted the reader to see everything unfold from his POV.

He's not really cognizant of what's going on (kind of like in a psychotic state). Different characters (who are main characters later in the script) interact with him during this time.

Later, he comes out of this psychotic state and is "normal". He then meets those characters again.

My question is, should I name those characters while he is interacting with him in this psychotic state? Or should I just give them descriptive names like "MAN WITH GLASSES IN WHITE LAB COAT."

I want to give the reader a sense of confusion but I don't know if I'm making it difficult for the reader. Or if it's too clunky because I'd have to say something later like "JACOB (aka MAN WITH GLASSES IN WHITE LAB COAT)".

Sorry if this is a bit unclear but hopefully you get what I'm asking.

Re: POV question regarding naming characters

Just name the characters like normal.

You can dramatize or cover in dialogue that your character doesn't know who they are / what's going on.

The only time you wouldn't name a character is if you were withholding that from the reader.

Comment

How long is the opening scene? The reason I ask is that someone reading the script might quickly grow impatient reading opening pages that have a string of generically named characters, and perhaps jump to conclusions that the script will be difficult (and not worthwhile) to read.

Like everything else, I think it all hinges on execution. The lack of named characters will likely disorient the reader, but if you do it right, he or she will be disoriented in exactly the way you want. I'd focus on clarity, and on writing it in a way that makes it feel necessary... as if you had no other choice but to write it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jcpdoc View Post
        How long is the opening scene? The reason I ask is that someone reading the script might quickly grow impatient reading opening pages that have a string of generically named characters, and perhaps jump to conclusions that the script will be difficult (and not worthwhile) to read.

Like everything else, I think it all hinges on execution. The lack of named characters will likely disorient the reader, but if you do it right, he or she will be disoriented in exactly the way you want. I'd focus on clarity, and on writing it in a way that makes it feel necessary... as if you had no other choice but to write it that way.
        Well it's the first act of a pilot. So close to 10 pages.

It's not like there are tons of characters introduced. Actually, really only two.

What you said makes sense. I am just going to try it without naming them. I really want the reader to see everything from this guy's POV.

Thanks!

Comment

Name them when we first meet them.

On screen, we'll have the actor's face to remember who they are. On the page, the name is a placeholder for the face.

I see inexperienced writers do what you describe a lot, and it's really annoying. Don't do it unless there is an important reason to keep character's name hidden. The lead not knowing their name is not an important reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
            Name them when we first meet them.

On screen, we'll have the actor's face to remember who they are. On the page, the name is a placeholder for the face.

I see inexperienced writers do what you describe a lot, and it's really annoying. Don't do it unless there is an important reason to keep character's name hidden. The lead not knowing their name is not an important reason.
            I see what you're saying. It's not just that though. It's that the main character is in this state of mind that's very primitive. And I want to give the reader that sense of the world through his eyes.

I'll see how it reads when I finish it. It's an easy fix if I see it's not working. Thanks!

Comment

I would definitely go for it. Your task is to convey the feel of the movie.

psychotic opening:

POV:

We storm into a kitchen...

A SMALL MAN WITH GLASSES stands up to greet us, half-morphed into an insect, speaks something, but we hear only garbled noise...

we push him aside and grab A KNIFE from the table...

normal state:

END POV:

Jack awakes from the bloody frenzy, looks at the knife in his hand, as if seeing it for the first time.

Hidden in the corner shivers the Small Man With Glasses -- Jack recognizes him as JACOB, his old friend.

JACOB
              Man, what got into you?
              Last edited by goldmund; 10-14-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X