Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you do today - anti procra thread

What did you do today? What did you aim to do?

Today, I wrote 5 pages of a script that I'm writing with a partner. It's new to me, as it's the first time I'm writing with somebody else - so a lot of attempts to find the perfect workflow. So far, it's been a blast, some minor frustrations, but totally worth it. I really think we're writing something great!

I've a meeting today to get notes for a script I sold, kind of feel anxious as we've been working on it for about a year, and receiving notes always hurt first, before I cool my head off.

What about you, guys?
    The question is : Do you work in the business?

Re: What did you do today - anti procra thread

Ironic but -- today I finished revisions on a 12-page, 4500-word speech I wrote earlier this week (which is a script, I guess you could say) for a woman who is starting to do public speaking -- about her battle with cancer.

And though I just sent the new draft off to her, and I'm work-free for the rest of the day, I'm finding it hard to switch over to writing my own stuff.

Not only am I dealing with the hypochondriac effect ("Wait -- is this ache I feel in my ankle, cancer?!"), but it's also a case of the cobbler's kids have no shoes.

That's the problem with having a day job that's centered on writing. You get burnt out on your client work and want to run away from your keyboard. The upside -- I do talk to a lot of people about a lot of different topics and it's all fodder for fiction.

Anyway -- in an attempt to procrastinate after finishing the day-job work, I came to Done Deal and saw this thread. Yes, ironic.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

And though I just sent the new draft off to her, and I'm work-free for the rest of the day, I'm finding it hard to switch over to writing my own stuff.

[...]

That's the problem with having a day job that's centered on writing. You get burnt out on your client work and want to run away from your keyboard. The upside -- I do talk to a lot of people about a lot of different topics and it's all fodder for fiction.
      I feel you. Even thought creating stories, writing compelling scenes and dialogues is a lot of fun, it's also draining, physically and emotionally. It's not that easy to enter into different "realities" at will. I never understood how people could work on three stories daily.

The Meeting went well, as I won't have to add scenes, but to cut some and I'll be done.

1 page only today, but I spent quite some time reading about scenes and their lengths. I've always been intrigued by the "two lines" scenes, and try to learn on how to create more texture, silence and poetry in my writing. As Kurosawa said, we're always learning.

Comment

Studied, you tube mostly, then a rewrite, 500 words or so, a good days work.
        Genius sees everything.
        Genius sees.

Posey Mund.

Comment

I started building a medieval pavilion, which will be about 19' in diameter at the base. I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with flat-felled seams.

Takeshiro: I write TV with a partner; we tried several different ways to work before we settled on something, so let yourselves be flexible. As long as you're both working for the good of the script, and not your own egos, then writing with a partner can lift your script to a whole new level.

Comment

I watched a movie in the same genre as my current script, for inspiration (it didn't really work), then searched for produced scripts that would help me find a solution to a specific technical problem I'm having with my script (it didn't really work). I then poured a bourbon over ice and came here to ask Done Dealers for help on the technical question.

1. Sometimes the bourbon helps with the writing, sometimes it doesn't. But it always feels good. Tonight I reworked an action scene--improved it by maybe 10%.

2. So far, I've gotten one response on the technical question that isn't bad (thanks, NMS!), but it's still not feeling like an ultimate solution.

3. More bourbon can't be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
              I started building a medieval pavilion, which will be about 19' in diameter at the base. I'm going to have a love-hate relationship with flat-felled seams.

Takeshiro: I write TV with a partner; we tried several different ways to work before we settled on something, so let yourselves be flexible. As long as you're both working for the good of the script, and not your own egos, then writing with a partner can lift your script to a whole new level.
              My mother sews. Isn't "flat-felled seam" a sewing term? What the hell kind of pavilion are you building?

Comment

Originally posted by OtisLovesUs View Post
                My mother sews. Isn't "flat-felled seam" a sewing term? What the hell kind of pavilion are you building?
                Yep - it's the kind of seam you find on the inside of jeans. It keeps seams tidy and supposedly more waterproof. It better, because it's twice the work.

I hope it comes out something like this (though decorated differently):

http://greydragon.org/pavilions/pavilino-278.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post

Indeed It's going very well. As you said, being flexible-i do yoga, of course- is important. I don't think it would have worked with another writier with a big ego. The fact we can discuss our ideas, debate freely is great.

Comment

Working...
                  X