No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to scene

Hi,

Is this a correct way to write a scene if you have interrupted it with something like:

Sam peeks through his binoculars.

SAM'S BINOCULARS

Two kangaroos chase Billy on the runway; batter him to the ground, beat on him like he is their punching bag.

Sam lowers his binoculars, spins to the door.

SAM
    Honey, call ambulance. Billy's playing with kangaroos again.

Or is it necessary to write BACK TO SCENE and then "Sam lowers his binoculars, spins to the door.-

Re: Back to scene

That reads fine to me. The main aim is always clarity, and it's clear from what you've written that we cut back to the scene when he lowers the binoculars.
    My stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Jay View Post
      That reads fine to me. The main aim is always clarity, and it's clear from what you've written that we cut back to the scene when he lowers the binoculars.
      +1

Comment

I would absolutely use "Back to scene" -- I think it very much helps clarify what the reader's looking at. If someone's reading 20 scripts that day, I don't want to make them work more than they need to.

So my take would be slightly different, to keep the read crisply clear, as follows:
        Sam peeks through his binoculars.

SAM'S POV We aren't looking at his binocs, but through them. I would actually use "Through binocs" or "Binoc POV" instead.

Two kangaroos chase Billy on the runway; batter him to the ground, beat on him like he is their punching bag.

BACK TO SCENE

Sam lowers his binoculars, spins to the door.
        I'd dress this up to make it more meaningful, but you may have just thrown up a quick example for your question. EG: Sam checks his watch -- he doesn't have time for this nonsense. Stunned, Sam lets the binocs slip out of his hands. Sam hurls the binocs into the chair, nearly braining the cat. Any action that reflects more closely the character's feelings at that moment.

SAM
        Honey, call ambulance. Billy's playing with kangaroos again.

Comment

Working...
        X