Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slug line

What would be a correct slug line for a scene that takes place in an infected zone, so that the reader understands that from the slug line alone?

At first I had: EXT. HOSPITAL - DAY (ANYTOWN, USA)

But that does not say much, right.

How about: EXT. HOSPITAL - DAY (INFECTED ZONE) or (HOT ZONE)

Other locations outside the infected zone I would leave without any specifications. I guess this way the reader would presume the scene takes place outside the infected zone.

Re: Slug line

I would add the INFECTED ZONE part only if it's important for the production design. I mean, if the Hospital looks like any other Hospital, inside or outside the infected zone, then just add EXT. HOSPITAL - DAY.

If you need to add it, what I usually do is to go from bigger to smaller area, in this case:

EXT. INFECTED ZONE / HOSPITAL - DAY

This way you can also have a

EXT. INFECTED ZONE / BACK ALLEY - DAY

or whatever and then it's easy to group the scenes together.
    Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

I think that's a job for the action lines and dialogue context.

If it's abandoned. You could include it in the slugline.

INT. HOSPITAL - DAY

Overturned gurneys. Boarded up doors. Nothing stirs.
      If it's active triage center trying to handle the mass of refugees

INT. HOSPITAL - DAY

NURSES wind through crowds of WOUNDED. SOLDIERS with M-14's stand sentinel at the entrance. A CACOPHONY of shouts for more medicine, bandages, etc.

DOCTOR
      That's the last of the Amoxicillin!

A NURSE speaks to a FAMILY waiting for news.

NURSE
      I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do. We can't spare any medicine for the ones who aren't going to make it.

Comment

Do you have hospitals outside the infected zone? IE, would you need to differentiate?

I'd say whatever is the primary bulk of the settings, let that one be standard and differentiate the minor. If most of your scenes are in the infected zone, then designate SAFE ZONE for the others. But that's just my opinion.

14001 is correct in putting DAY at the end.

Comment

There are a couple of street scenes; the action description delivers the basic info for the reader to understand that the team is in anything but "a normal- situation. The majority of the story takes place outside of the infected area.

I was not sure if the slug line should deliver as first the info to the reader that the scene takes place in the "hot- or in safe zone.

In the first version, I actually had the EXT. INFECTED ZONE -... However, I was unsure about it because "INFECTED ZONE- sounds like a virtual and not a physical location. But, if that is the way to do it, then it makes my life much easier.

Comment

Just opinions here. No set rules.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
              Just opinions here. No set rules.
              I know. That is why I prefer to get opinions instead to try to guess it by myself if I am not sure how to do it and my other resources do not deliver me a clear answer to a specific question.

I simply follow the rule "Ten heads know more than one.-

Comment

Don't worry so much about small formatting issues. Write the script and then write another five.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                  Don't worry so much about small formatting issues. Write the script and then write another five.
                  I actually did that; 11 movie scripts and 8 sitcom pilots. Then I found out about different ways how companies treat screenplays (if you ever get so far to get them to read one) so now I am trying to polish them as good as possible.
                  Sorry if I am annoying with all the questions. It is a consequence of the last decade in my job, where everything had to be right on the nail (not sure, if this is the right way to say it.)

Comment

Working...
                  X