No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice over

Hi,

way back, I remember that I saw writers using (V.O) when someone spoke from a TV set or a monitor (TV newscaster...)
    In one of the recent scripts I found the writer did not use (V.O) for the dialogue that came from a TV.

Is it okay to use (V.O) for any dialogue that comes from a TV set? I know that (V.O) is used for radio, phone... In a way, voice also appears through a speaker in the TV set.

Thank you for any suggestions and explanations.

Re: Voice over

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
    Hi,

way back, I remember that I saw writers using (V.O) when someone spoke from a TV set or a monitor (TV newscaster...)
    In one of the recent scripts I found the writer did not use (V.O) for the dialogue that came from a TV.

Is it okay to use (V.O) for any dialogue that comes from a TV set? I know that (V.O) is used for radio, phone... In a way, voice also appears through a speaker in the TV set.

Thank you for any suggestions and explanations.
    You can use (V.O.) or, if you want to be really clear, you can use:

RALPH (ON TV)

I've used things like: SOPHIE (ON WALKIE TALKIE)

NMS

Comment

Great, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by slopnik View Post
        Great, thanks.
        I like nmstevens method a bit better.

(V.O.) Typically is the type of thing when you have a character waxing on about something or another.

Words coming from a character on a T.V. or Radio is in fact just that, a person talking through a device.

KW

Comment

I use (V.O.) when the voice is a character narrating the story OVER the visuals and apply the use of (ON WALKIE TALKIE) or (ON TV) when it serves to provide better clarification or context to the visuals.

Like NMS suggests.
          "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
            you can use:

RALPH (ON TV)

I've used things like: SOPHIE (ON WALKIE TALKIE)
            So it is okay to use (ON TV) next to the character's dialogue name:

MAX (ON TV)

Instead of:

MAX
            (on TV)

I am trying to cut all the unnecessary lines, that is why I used (V.O.) until now, but in recent versions of FD I saw they moved (SUBTITLES) or (in French; subtitled) also next to the character's dialogue name.

Comment

Working...
            X