X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slug lines

Hi,

I am stuck with my slugs - again.

The situation - I establish the park as the main slug. We have a playground and the fountain as additional slugs. Everything's fine until here.
    Now our character hunts, catches, and knocks out person A (Mark) and hides his body in the bushes. She is forced to return to person B and rescue her. Until here also no problems. But how do I return (no walking, speeding...) simply use a new slug and tell the reader that we are with Mike's body, which was previously hidden in the bushes?

Which would be the best slug for it?

EXT. MARK HIDDEN BETWEEN BUSHES - DAY
    EXT. PARK BUSHES #2
    EXT. BETWEEN BUSHES #2
    EXT. BUSHES #2
    Or maybe:
    EXT. PARK TREES #2
    EXT. BETWEEN TREES #3

The action takes place all over the park and I want to make sure the reader understands we have changed the location, but are still in the same park.

Anyone knows any titles of screenplays that include numerous slugs for parks, castles, villages?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Re: Slug lines

Use mini slugs:

EXT. PARK - Day

Setup sprawling park setting etc....

PLAYGROUND

stuff happens at the playground Fun, fun.

POND

Ducks fly as man get's murdered.

DOG WALKING AREA

Dogs walk their people.

Mini slug is capitalized and is a subset of the scene slug line location. This will save a lot of spacing and reads better. Mini slugs are just capitalized action lines for formatting purposes. Hope that helps.
    Eric
    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

I'd say the answer to all your questions is be clear and consistent.

Comment

Slugs don't need to be formal as long as they are, as Jeff said, clear and consistent.

[MC] hurries back to the playground, picks [character B] up off the ground. She brushes the dirt off [him/her.]

MARK'S BODY.

He wakes up, touches his forehead.

Comment

Originally posted by harbak View Post
          Use mini slugs:
          Thanks. I'll try to find my way with all your suggestions. It's funny how a story can invade your head just like that and then you get stuck on a technicality like I did.

Comment

FWIW, if you're using Final Draft, the element is called "Shot".

Comment

Originally posted by MoviePen View Post
              FWIW, if you're using Final Draft, the element is called "Shot".
              Thanks,

unfortunately, I am using this &%#$#$%&%# piece of crap; will switch to Fade in this year. I did not use SHOT until now. If I understand it correctly, it is the same as when I key enter, write a mini slug in all caps and hit enter again to write action line - or are there any extras that I have missed?

Comment

Working...
              X