Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to finish script before eviction

I lost my job due to cut backs and suffer from chronic edema which causes the lower extremities to retain fluid. I'm actually deformed now due to morbid obesity. My wife is I'll also. So here I am still trying to finish my screenplay. It's become an up hill battle as each day I can only briefly before more fluid builds up and walking is agony. Yet I fight knowing it's a lost cause. I now write in the hope that some good may come of it. It's a profound awakening to suffer in pain 24/7. Yet I try my best to keep writing. I remember trying to finish a scifi comedy when my mom was taking chemo for her battle with cancer. I managed to finish it despite her losing her battle with breast cancer. So the thought of homelessness doesn't scare me but saddens me. So much grief in this world. My wife and I hope to come back one day stronger and healthier. Until then, I will write until my sickness reaches a point when I can no longer use my hands. I only wish I could have done more in less time. I do so love screenwriting .

Rich
    sigpicWriting is re-writing

Re: Trying to finish script before eviction

Good luck to you, and kudos for your dedication. Maybe consider voice-to-text services if you can get them? That might help with the pain.

I hope it all works out.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Life can be a real b*tch sometimes.

I know what it's like to write through a health problem. I know how it can help distract your mind from your current reality. Frankly, it's the only thing that kept me sane at the time. Let it be your escape.

As for your financial situation -- that's rough. I don't know how much they'll help, but there are two sources I have experience with that can serve as a source of income if working from home is ideal:

Upwork -- The #1 website for freelancers. There are a ton of writing jobs on here, everything from research reports to white papers to proposals to eBooks to screenplay editing/writing. You have to bid for jobs, but once you have a few completed ones under your belt it becomes easier to obtain them. Link: https://www.upwork.com/

Wonder - This is a startup that hires people with research skills. Basically, there's a dashboard with several research questions (kind of like what you might find on Yahoo Answers, but with a higher difficulty level) that you can pick and choose from to answer. They usually take about 2-3 hours and you can earn as much as $45 a question (so it's possible to earn hundreds in a given week). There's an application process where you have to answer some test questions. It's really flexible and you get paid every two weeks. Link: https://askwonder.com/join

I know things are tough right now, but stay strong. Everyone in this forum is rooting for you.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Truly hope things get better for you! Sending you good vibes out into the cosmos, Pickerman123.

Comment

Wishing you well. When my mom was dying of cancer, she requested a laptop so she could keep writing as long as possible. A theater company produced one of her plays at what became her memorial service.

Comment

Dear Guys:

Thanks for the kind support. Things have gotten darker I found out local homeless shelters actually don't take married couples. I couldn't believe it. My wife and I rely on each other. We have no one, (friends or family) so it's just us. Now We're told once we go homeless we can't be together. Women and men shelters are separate.

I was so desperate I went to Go FUnd ME which I heard of which helps financially strapped people but then I realized it works on the idea that your family and friends share your situation with their friends and family and ask for donations on your behalf. Man did I feel stupid. That idea went right out the window. So we're struggling to find a place before our eviction where we can be together and share whatever time our health gives us. I feel like I'm walking in ether and I can only hope we can fight the social services system to keep ourselves together since we're the only ones who have each other.

Comment

Can you get a disability check since your illness has caused you to be unable to work? With disability comes the right to apply and get low-income housing, and help with things like food stamps, I think. That way you and your wife can stay together.

Contact social services! Tell them what you listed here. See what your options are. That's why those services exist. Wishing you the best outcome.

Comment

Trying now... i'm applying online which thank God saves me a trip and stress on the legs!

Comment

I just found out today I made the Screen Craft Quarter Finals in their 2016 Sci-fi screenplay competition.

Over 800 submissions were entered.

I only wish getting this far could mean more but with my current circumstances...it's a hollow victory...

Comment

Congratulations Pickerman!

I really wish your situation will improve. My heart goes to you.

Comment

Good luck. I hope things improve for you.
                      Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Well, fate must have intervened. My wife and I were heading toward eviction. Then I found a job closer to home with the same salary -- just as I exhausted my final unemployment check.

Bills and rent will be paid late but life seems to go on. My only concern is my physical state of obesity which still makes my walking an agonizing experience.

Miracle I was hired despite this disability. I still don't qualify for disability benefits sadly, so my work commute though shorter, still means I have to suffer 5 days a week of pure blinding pain and pretend I'm just a normal every day working stiff just so I can keep this job. Employers are like lions. They sift through the weak Gazelles and cut them down. Same goes for my job.

I'm grateful to have the job and the opportunity to finish the last 10 pages of my final draft to my horror/drama/action screenplay TITAN. Maybe its destiny. Maybe its just plain luck desguised as destiny.

Rich

Comment

I'm happy things took a good turn for you with the new job, and I hope more good comes your way. Good luck with your new script.

Comment

Glad things worked out, when you are down it can seem like everything in your world is going wrong... But giving into that mentality only perpetuates the problem. Easier said than done, but just know you HAVE to keep going, so that you may be rewarded for that suffering.
                            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                            SUBTITLED
                            Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                            Episode 2 (African commercial)
                            Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

How wonderful for you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X