Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One scene spanning two years

Is it possible to write a scene (maybe two or three) that represents a two year period or would it come off cheap.

I hope what I'm saying is clear also if there's any films with examples please let me know.

My last act is about what the character does after the two year period. So I don't wanna make it about that period of a person's life. Obviously wanna do it without using a Superimpose.

Re: One scene spanning two years

Originally posted by Hitman View Post
    Is it possible to write a scene (maybe two or three) that represents a two year period or would it come off cheap.

I hope what I'm saying is clear also if there's any films with examples please let me know.

My last act is about what the character does after the two year period. So I don't wanna make it about that period of a person's life. Obviously wanna do it without using a Superimpose.
    One scene that comes to my mind, although it isn't a two-year period of transition, is of William Thacker (protagonist played by Hugh Grant) in the market scene from the movie Notting Hill (click the link to see the shot).

The shot begins in one season and runs through all four seasons as he walks through the market. The audience then knows an entire year has passed without having to read the superimposed title of "One Year Later."

Two or three representative scenes of the two-year progression sound okay to me and a montage or "series of shots" of key events for your character during those two years is another alternative. Just my 2¢, no more.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Yes totally possible, doable. It's all in the execution, you just have to go with your gut. It's basically an extended montage, which is fine if it's done right. I think lots of movies with training sequences suggest the passage of time with short scenes and manage to get some exposition out with them too. What's the opening of UP like on the page? Haven't read that script but that did something similar.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman View Post

Well, there are certainly moments in movies where one scene ends and another scene begins where a year or a couple years pass. But if you're looking for a scene in which a year (or maybe longer pass) the scene that comes to mind off hand is the "Hakuna Matata" scene in the Lion King in which the young Lion grows to manhood over the course of the song -- although really it sort of happens in a single dissolve.

Similar "growing up" put to music scene by the way, in Frozen with "Do you want to build a snowman."

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
            Well, there are certainly moments in movies where one scene ends and another scene begins where a year or a couple years pass. But if you're looking for a scene in which a year (or maybe longer pass) the scene that comes to mind off hand is the "Hakuna Matata" scene in the Lion King in which the young Lion grows to manhood over the course of the song -- although really it sort of happens in a single dissolve.

Similar "growing up" put to music scene by the way, in Frozen with "Do you want to build a snowman."

NMS
            Thanks for your answer.

Comment

may not help, but like in JAWS, brodie comments in the beginning of the story something about the sun coming through the bedroom window, how it didn't when they first moved in, and his wife comments that is because they moved in during another season...stuff like that and then the banter about how their accents are different from the Amity folk let you know...they're moved in but they're still new, and they feel it.

to brodie, the swing-set in his yard was possibly even dangerous.
              Last edited by AnconRanger; 10-07-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                One scene that comes to my mind, although it isn't a two-year period of transition, is of William Thacker (protagonist played by Hugh Grant) in the market scene from the movie Notting Hill (click the link to see the shot).

The shot begins in one season and runs through all four seasons as he walks through the market. The audience then knows an entire year has passed without having to read the superimposed title of "One Year Later."

Two or three representative scenes of the two-year progression sound okay to me and a montage or "series of shots" of key events for your character during those two years is another alternative. Just my 2¢, no more.
                brilliant shot.

very expensive though.

Comment

You might look at the four year time jump in Cast Away. We cut back in and the pudgy Fedex exec who can't throw a spear has become a gaunt guy with a huge beard who can spear a fish on the first try. A lesson in contrast.

Beyond that, I think long time spans showing gradual change lend themselves to montages. Likewise for long spans depicting stasis.
                  - - - - - - -
                  Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

Working...
                  X