Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make it a cliffhanger!

Late last year I was approached by a producer via the Black List regarding optioning my script. He loved it, but his one consistent note was that the script was long at 118 pages.

No problem! I can make some beats happen sooner, trim the fat, etc etc. But as it turns out, he really just wanted to take a full 3 act script, cut 20 - 30 pages, then rewrite the ending into a cliffhanger. Therefore it could be sold as "Part 1- of a larger franchise.

Personally I've always thought there was a lot more of this story to tell, and there is plenty of room to make parts 2 - 6. However I didn't LOVE the idea of forcing a cliffhanger when it wasn't necessary.

So here are my questions:

1) I know for established franchises this is a thing (I.E. Harry Potter and Hunger Games). But for something that is likely going to be the indy route and is a unknown / unproven property?

2) How long should this re-write process take? So far it's been going on for a month. I do a re-write, he takes 5 or 6 days to get back to me with notes, and I turn around with a new draft in 1-2 days.

3) And just in general, how often should I expect to hear from my Producer as far as what he's doing and what the next steps are?

Re: Make it a cliffhanger!

Are you getting paid for any of this? Has anything been signed? Has the producer talked about what they plan to do with the draft once it's rewritten?

All of that will affect what your expectations should be.

Comment

Originally posted by omjs View Post
      Are you getting paid for any of this? Has anything been signed? Has the producer talked about what they plan to do with the draft once it's rewritten?

All of that will affect what your expectations should be.
      Yes I've signed the option.

We've talked about directors and actors, and who he is planning on approaching once he's happy with the ending.

Comment

The Youtube Red film "The Thinning" was done that way.
        You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

I think your story should have identity by itself and if you don't write anymore parts, it's finishes satisfactory. Of course if you make a franchise that can be a good deal for you, so maybe some things you don't need to tie.

For example, Star Wars, episode IV works perfect as it is. If there were no more movies, the story would still stand ground. The only thing they added for a possible sequel is that smart little shot where Vader escapes into space.
          Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Working...
          X