How to properly use series of images or shots?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly use series of images or shots?

I ran into a problem today. In one of my scripts, the main character uses vines to look into the history of some race through a series of shots. Then it's narrated by someone as the shots are shown.

Explaining how to not make it jarring is appreciated, thank you.

Re: How to properly use series of images or shots?

I don't think there's a specific "official" way to do it. Being that these are all happening on a screen, here's how I would do it.

Joe Blow sits at his computer/tablet/whatever looking up clips on the history of blah, blah, blah.

ON SCREEN: Series of Shots.

Guy running falls flat on his face.

Gal running limps to the finish line.

etc. etc. etc.

Joe Blow slumps back in his seat. Watching all that running is quite a workout.
    You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Do you mean how to properly format it or do you mean how do you make it impactful. In a comedy a series of shots should be funny and in a drama they should have a much heavier mood. They should reveal, give a little nugget of story to the reader.

For you to have an effective 'series of shots' it will greatly depend on what happens in the narrative prior to the series of shots. Does this series of shots pay something off that was foreshadowed earlier? Does it enrich character? Does it reveal anything new?

Comment

If it's "the history" of something, meaning a broad, sweeping approach, with shots spanning multiple periods, *and not a single task spread out over a series of shots,* it sounds more like a Montage.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
          If it's "the history" of something, meaning a broad, sweeping approach, with shots spanning multiple periods, *and not a single task spread out over a series of shots,* it sounds more like a Montage.
          Yep. I totally missed this. The dialogue (V.O.) didn't register for some reason. If this is the case, it's definitely a montage.
          You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Working...
          X