Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Last 10 Days

I was hoping to help push me and you and other into focusing on writing. And trust me, writing your own fake world is very relaxing.

I've been listening to more music these days, podcasts always... but I did this anyway -- but I love to watch comfort movies, TV shows, youtube clips of things I know.

In general I pretend it's 1978 to 1995 and enjoy life.

Also picked now to finally lose weight. So do whatever you have to do to focus on your energy on good things for your writing -- and first of course your mental and physical health.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
      Do you have to pay for all those master classes?
      A playwright friend (produced) in Florida bought in on the Master Class series as part of a promotion: buy a one-year subscription and give a one-year subscription to a friend for free. I was the grateful friend and recipient of the gift. I proofread her plays for her and she likes my suggestions for them, too. Lucky me.
      "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

Comment

Awesome. How are they? I saw the Sorkin one and I thought it was solid. Marketing team is amazing. I see commercials and I get pumped up!!! And can't believe they got such A level talent to do this. Must be a hell of a pay day and cut of profit, right???

SNL did a great spoof of them -- but I'm still waiting for Obama's masterclass on how to be a president.

*Unrelated every time I post I have to fix spacing after it -- it keeps doubling the space when I hit POST and i have to manually delete it. Anyone else? Maybe it's just Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          Awesome. How are they? I saw the Sorkin one and I thought it was solid. Marketing team is amazing. I see commercials and I get pumped up!!! And can't believe they got such A level talent to do this. Must be a hell of a pay day and cut of profit, right???

SNL did a great spoof of them -- but I'm still waiting for Obama's masterclass on how to be a president.

*Unrelated every time I post I have to fix spacing after it -- it keeps doubling the space when I hit POST and i have to manually delete it. Anyone else? Maybe it's just Firefox.
          Personally, I love the Master Class series. The production quality is excellent—lighting, audio, cinematography (yes), graphics, and editing. My first class was Shonda Rhimes’ tutorial. It was an education in writing for television—made more interesting because my girlfriend (and I) have seen every episode of Grey’s Anatomy—but more than that, it was wonderful to hear someone speak so well and so flawlessly. If you transcribed Ms. Rhimes’ dialogue from the course to paper, it would receive an A+ in an English class for correct grammar and excellent sentence structure and vocabulary.

The writers I’ve chosen to listen to point out things that seem obvious when you hear them said, but you might not have considered them as directly as when they give them to you or in the context in which they’re given. Anyone who has bothered to educate themselves about whatever their writing discipline will find much of it is going over old ground but at the hands of a professional and masters of their corner of the craft. That, to me, is not something to be sneezed at.

There are many nuggets of gold to be mined from the old ground when it’s covered by these successful icons of their respective fields. One writer—Joyce Carol Oates, who follows her Creative Writing course curriculum from Princeton—involved two of her students in a discussion first of a Hemingway story, then of stories written by each of the students. A follow-along course guide in PDF is available, and user participation is encouraged in a forum for class participants.

With a year to listen to so many authors who I would otherwise never hear their lectures or advice on writing, the Master Class series is quite a bargain if one pays for it, let alone when it’s a gift.

Unrelated: The double-spacing happened to me a lot when I used Firefox. I always thought it was because Big Brother was/is monitoring me, or (now) the Russian hackers were/are gathering ammunition for their upcoming big Agitpr├│p push, or both.
          Last edited by TigerFang; 05-31-2020, 06:34 AM.
          "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

Comment

Tiger Fang - you'd like I came across years ago. The title is something like "Award Winning Screenwriters On Screenwriting. It's all Oscar winners talking about their process. Like 12 or more writers Talking about their process.

Comment

Also found this recently on youtube. Seems like another version of masterclass but interviews from artists we love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmtFBPfRp4 Around 2 min explained so much that I knew, but could never explain well.

https://offcamera.com/

I think I'll add it to my podcast list. I think i had this before, but didn't realize how smart it was until I saw video interviews.

Jason Mantzoukas I love him. He had great one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                Tiger Fang - you'd like I came across years ago. The title is something like "Award Winning Screenwriters On Screenwriting. It's all Oscar winners talking about their process. Like 12 or more writers Talking about their process.
                Also found this recently on youtube. Seems like another version of masterclass but interviews from artists we love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmtFBPfRp4 Around 2 min explained so much that I knew, but could never explain well.

https://offcamera.com/

I think I'll add it to my podcast list. I think i had this before, but didn't realize how smart it was until I saw video interviews.

Jason Mantzoukas I love him. He had great one too.
                Cool. Cyfress, Bono: thanks for these links!

Comment

A pro writer friend of mine told me once -- I'm not a better writer than you -- I just write more than you do and consistently. In other words a pro isn't just someone that gets paid to do it. They do the work always not just once in a blue moon. It was great advice.
                  Bono - So, in other words, your pro-writer friend also said that consistently writing more doesn't make one qualitatively better than other writers, but merely increases productivity?
                  Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                  "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                    Bono - So, in other words, your pro-writer friend also said that consistently writing more doesn't make one qualitatively better than other writers, but merely increases productivity?

Not even close.

Comment

Not even close.
                      So, when they said "I'm not a better writer than you", they were just being polite?

Comment

Nope. You missed the words of wisdom.

Comment

Always write like a pro, right?
                          Check out the DDP Logline Throwdown thread in Writing Exercises forum

Comment

Nope. You missed the words of wisdom.
                            You may presume that, but your pro-writer friend's "words of wisdom" are perfectly clear: write more, and write consistently.

However, returning to your pro-writer friend's intriguing full statement:
                            A pro writer friend of mine told me once -- I'm not a better writer than you -- I just write more than you do and consistently.
                            How is it that your pro-writer friend, despite writing more than you, and writing more consistently than you, is still not a qualitatively better writer than you?

Comment

Yes I’m a terrible writer. Happy. Again that was not his point. I’d restate if I believed that is what you want but I think you are just playing.

Comment

Yes Im a terrible writer. Happy. Again that was not his point. Id restate if I believed that is what you want but I think you are just playing.
                                No, I'm not playing. I'm genuinely intrigued by your pro-writer friend's remarkable statement. (Which goes against the common wisdom of: the more that you do something, the better you'll get at it.)

If you've not quoted them quite correctly, then yes, please do "restate".

Comment

Working...
                                X