X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finalact4
    replied
    Re: The Last 10 Days

Lostfootage: Congrats, finalact4! Your move sounds pretty reasonable to me...
    Thanks, Lostfootage.

It looks like there are three routes. The dealership knew I was driving cross country so when they certified it they also added nitrous oxide inside the tires so I won't have pressure problems at altitude. It's definitely a shake up. Just the everyday stress level since COVID happened is incredible. I'm with Bono, on this one, sometimes I'm totally stressed and panic stricken that I'm considering going to a doctor for it, and I'm the last person that would ever considering medication, but the anxiety can be overwhelming.

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    2006, when gas was still sub $2.00/gallon (or so). Had to be in LA 3 days from the time I left Maryland, so no time to sightsee along the way. Stuck to the economy motel chains, which I think were sub $100/night for rooms. Definitely recommend the southern route, though from Texas to Palm Springs is when the terrain gets generally hella flat and boring. It's a fun thing that I never want to do again
    It's amazing what 14 years can do to prices and right now gas is still at a low. I lived in Maryland before, gorgeous country-- do you miss it?

I think I will take your advice and head to the southern route through St Louis. It's the best route to hit the Grand Canyon, but I thought Denver would be cool, too.

I'll update the other thread for anyone interested in how the trip goes. I know I would have liked to read a thread about how to do it.

If you're open to connecting in LA, I am open to meeting other writers and going to writer events (that goes for anyone), COVID permitting. Thanks for the feedback, it's helped my reconsider my options.
    FA4

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
    An interesting thread about writing got hijacked by the minute and infinitely boring self-aggrandizing details about a cross-country move that already took up a lot of space on a different thread.

Ciao, DDP.
    Yeah, that DIFFERENT THREAD is in ONE ON ONE header. It's specifically for that type of conversation titled "Ideal LA Living Locations." So, sorry not sorry.

It takes little effort on your part to bypass or ignore my posts. Better yet, BLOCK ME instead of using passive aggression as a way to be mean to another human being.

This thread is called "The Last Ten Days." Now, maybe you're already in California, but many of us are NOT. Which means finding a way to get to Hollywood is relative to the conversation.

To that end, just to be clear... you're good with the jello comments, right? And the sexual undertones? Because those comments have so much to do with screenwriting.

Yeah, I'm happy to make this move. Yeah, it's great considering it's been a decade long effort to do so. Yeah, I'm excited that as a female I'm finally being paid MY VALUE instead of having my income devalued because of my sex.

BTW, if you can't figure out how to BLOCK someone. I can walk you through it.

So before you decide to demean and criticize a fellow writher for their excitement for hitting a milestone in their life, maybe take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself WHY you felt it was so important to condescend to me as if I'm not right here in front of you.

You don't like what I have to say. Block me. It's as simple as that.
    Last edited by finalact4; 09-17-2020, 03:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    What year did you move out, JoeBanks? I mean, just the math alone for gas? 3100 miles, 23 miles to the gallon @ on average $2.99/gallon is $400 all by itself. And that's not diesel or a truck that gets 13mpg. Four nights @ $100/night (in city will be higher) is $400-$600, so $800-$1,000 min for a CAR packed to the hilt with as much as you can fit. That's it, clothes and office ****, and it ain't much.
    2006, when gas was still sub $2.00/gallon (or so). Had to be in LA 3 days from the time I left Maryland, so no time to sightsee along the way. Stuck to the economy motel chains, which I think were sub $100/night for rooms. Definitely recommend the southern route, though from Texas to Palm Springs is when the terrain gets generally hella flat and boring. It's a fun thing that I never want to do again

Leave a comment:

• lostfootage
    replied

Congrats, finalact4! Your move sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I've had a lot of friends move this year and it's just more expensive than it was in previous years. So many people are moving around. It's like the great shake up.

My friends just moved a 2600 sq ft house from San Jose, CA to Vegas and it was $9000 for the movers to load a truck, drive it to Vegas and unload the truck into their new place. They had multiple beds/dressers/big furniture that was unreasonable to do with a U-Haul. They drove their cars to Vegas at the same time the moving truck drove their stuff.

I've done a couple of cross country trips -- from Nevada to New Jersey. This is when I was in grad school. The TX-Arizona route is the easiest one. The Denver route on I-70 goes through the Rockies, so it's prettier. But it adds time. And if your car is not tuned to high altitude, it can sputter over some of the mountain passes.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Right by me, welcome to the neighborhood. It was a lot prettier before 2020

Also be sure to fill your gas tank if you plan on taking the nature reserve route south through Arizona. I didn't and almost got stranded until I happened upon a station in the forest that I briefly thought was a mirage.
    Thanks for the GREAT TIP on the "fill up." I've heard about instances like that. I was originally going the Chicago-->Iowa-->Utah-->Denver route but the hours to get get to the Grand Canyon were sick.

I will now go the St Louis-->Oklahoma-->TX-->New Mexico-->Arizona route... it's the most efficient. I've seen the Grand Canyon from the top of Flagstaff, so if I have to put if off for a future visit, I'm good with that. A year from now, long weekend... yeah, make it my own. There's so many cool places to revisit on the west coast-->in California alone, I'm really looking forward to it. A bit concerned about my SI Asthma and the pollution, I've got my albuterol inhaler.

Beware Californians, I'll have a pepper spray gun soon.

Oh, for those who don't know, go to https://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/website and check out the sexual predators in your area. It gives you a lot of information that will help you make informed decisions about where you live.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    My east coast-LA move was several years ago now but I was able to load the contents of a studio apt (futon, some dressers/tables/desks, etc) onto a movers van and then drive out myself to meet the van about a week later at my new LA apt. for $1,000ish as I recall. Maybe $1,500 tops (and another $500ish for gas and hotels on the drive out)
    I hear you.

But I'm coming from a later in life move. My fully furnished home was 2,000+ square feet. I donated, sold, threw away ($800+ to do so), just to downsize. I cook gourmet meals and my kitchen equip/appliances are extensive. Even with getting rid of most of my furniture, I will fill the smallest pod and still have a car to move as well. It's good to hear your side of the costs, but I think for someone forced to downsize in a week, these are considerable costs.

I so wish I could do what you did, but circumstances are different for each person. I'm actually envious.

When a company I took a job with in 2002 relocated by 3 bedroom, 2,000 1900s craftsman bungalow it cost them $20,000 to relocate me, my husband, my 9 month old daughter and my long haired German Shepherd and two cars. It's amazing, they send in a 40' trailer, movers walk into your house and literally pack up every single ITEM in a box, number them, organize them by room in ONE DAY. It's amazing. Including your two cars. That's they best!

I think it's important to see your experience and mine. Different needs, right? If I could have done it for under $2,000 I would. But I literally have to be there in a week with one week's notice.

A car alone will cost $2,000 to transport cross country. I have to have someone move the stuff in for me, I don't know anyone and cannot move it myself, so I have to pay movers. The fact that you have to pay an extra $700 (reduced to $554) just to deliver "city service" is a shocker.

I'm driving my car cross-country, so I can't drive a truck, not that I would ever want to. I have a short period of time to get there. I'm downsizing from a 2,000+ square foot home of 10+ years to 700 square feet. Just consider the tools and gardening equipment I don't need is daunting.

I'm a woman driving cross-country by myself. I'm not staying in a motel 8, no offense intended, but I want a good night sleep. Even a reasonable Marriot I need to be in a hotel that is safe, clean, and worry free, so it's going to be bare min $80/night, closer to $160. I'll let everyone know the real impact after I make the move.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disputing your trip/plans, but if a single person who has owned a house and wants to do this cross country there are additional considerations. What year did you move out, JoeBanks? I mean, just the math alone for gas? 3100 miles, 23 miles to the gallon @ on average $2.99/gallon is $400 all by itself. And that's not diesel or a truck that gets 13mpg. Four nights @ $100/night (in city will be higher) is $400-$600, so $800-$1,000 min for a CAR packed to the hilt with as much as you can fit. That's it, clothes and office ****, and it ain't much.

Leave a comment:

• Rantanplan
    replied

An interesting thread about writing got hijacked by the minute and infinitely boring self-aggrandizing details about a cross-country move that already took up a lot of space on a different thread.

Ciao, DDP.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied

I was able to find and get approved for get a New apartment (will keep you in mind, Jimmy, thanks for the offer to help) studio loft 751 ish square feet with two story windows new Hollywood and N Highland. Congested, I know, but very close to the 101 and a 30 min commute to Commerce. I'm good with that.
    Right by me, welcome to the neighborhood. It was a lot prettier before 2020

Also be sure to fill your gas tank if you plan on taking the nature reserve route south through Arizona. I didn't and almost got stranded until I happened upon a station in the forest that I briefly thought was a mirage.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

My east coast-LA move was several years ago now but I was able to load the contents of a studio apt (futon, some dressers/tables/desks, etc) onto a movers van and then drive out myself to meet the van about a week later at my new LA apt. for $1,000ish as I recall. Maybe $1,500 tops (and another $500ish for gas and hotels on the drive out)

Leave a comment:

• Rantanplan
    replied

@Crayon: what this means is basically that writers write. Period. I know it sounds obvious, but I can't help being amazed every time I read or see an interview with massively successful and famous writers who, despite their millions in the bank, still get up every day, rain or shine, and put pen to paper or fingers to keys. Every day. Usually for around 8 hours. And on weekends. And on holidays.

Writers write. They don't wait for inspiration, they don't wait for their schedule to clear up, they don't wait until they find the perfect writing setting, they just do it. I would venture to say that is the single most common attribute of successful writers, past a certain initial skill set, a little luck and all the usual. I mean these guys could all be sailing around the world and living the lives of the few and privileged with all the dough they made. They could be living the fantasy "writer's life." But instead, they get up and they get the job done, day in and day out, year in and year out. It's incredibly motivating to hear. And with all that writing comes new ideas (writing begets writing) and, as Seth Rogan says in the video Bono posted, the experience of knowing better what works and doesn't work.

Anyway, me in the last 10 days:
    No actual writing, but my hatred of the world and my total loss of faith in humanity was restored to some degree yesterday by a response from someone who had asked to read the crime novel I wrote last year and am now tweaking, actually did read it, and actually did send me some notes. The fact that he also loved it also brought some good cheer.

So now my plan is to rewrite it by the end of the year and send it out into the universe again. On my first round, a lit agent had many positive things to say about it but mentioned one issue, and I agree and that's what I need to fix. I think I finally know what to do, so that's going to make it easier to finally get cracking.

Just need to concentrate and improve my time-management skills. What I do for a living gives me so much freedom and flexibility that there's really no excuse. I could get up early, do about five hours of translation, and then rest of the day would be mine. So what's stopping her, they all wondered.

Re. Masterclass: tons of amazing info on there. Even if you don't have time to listen to a whole class, you can download every lesson. I downloaded a bunch of them before my subscription ran out. Michael Baldacci's class was among my faves. Also, actors have amazing insights to use for character development.

Leave a comment:

• finalact4
    replied

Wow, you guys have been very busy.

Thanks, Jimmy and DocGonzo-- appreciate the kind words.

So, in the past 10 days I got a great offer to move to LA (double what the other offer was). Now I am now able to turn in and buy my little GLA (17,000, I've been good to her) which I will be packing up and driving out to LA on Sunday, with one additional stop-- THE GRAND CANYON.

I was able to find and get approved for get a New apartment (will keep you in mind, Jimmy, thanks for the offer to help) studio loft 751 ish square feet with two story windows new Hollywood and N Highland. Congested, I know, but very close to the 101 and a 30 min commute to Commerce. I'm good with that.

Declined a position at the other company that I used to work for, which is great for me. I will be able to live comfortably in LA. I'm thankful for that. It's a pretty big responsibility job with a retailer that is consider "essential" so even with COVID going on, we'll stay open.

I am moving **** from two different locations and working on getting the psycho ex out of my life. BTW if you have to do this on your own, this is the breakdown (to give you an idea). Remember I'm doing this on my own so, I have to pay for service...

$2,000
    Dallas to LA smallest pod they have. You have "city delivery" that you have to contend with.

$1,400
    Movers from origination and delivery. They dismantle beds, and wrap and pack everything. This includes $100 for 12 professional blankets.

$1,000
    To ship 10 boxes (trying to cut that down) from my Connecticut location-- clothes and personal items

$400-$600
    Gas to drive cross-country 3,000+ miles

$600
    hotels for 4 nights.

[b]grand total $5,600[/i]

Still negotiating an option/purchase, but not sure about several conditions. Lawyer says he understands why I want to acquiesce, but does not recommend that I do. It's a lot or risk on my part if it's not amended. I may pass and move on to someone else.

Once I get settled in LA I'll start writing again and the search for a manager.

So, when I get there I will have my desk, one chair, iMac, my writing materials, as many clothes as I can cram in my car, an air mattress for three weeks. Sounds fun, right?

But then... it's a whole new start. Nowhere to go but UP.

Oh, and I may learn Spanish or Italian on the drive out. Babel says if you use their app for 40 hours you'll master conversational speaking. The drive is a min 44 hours without the Grand Canyon.

Leave a comment:

• Satriales
    replied

Rewrote short story for producer, taking it from 9 to 20 pages. Got a director list and going to actresses this weekend with the revised version.

Got an EP credit and now lawyers are trading on the option+purchase offer for a feature that I took out exactly two years ago.

Out with a feature spec as well that is very COVID friendly but would likely need to be in production by November given possible filming locations so that isn't happening this year so I'm not sure how much the friendliness moves the needle. Though contained thriller probably isn't going out of fashion anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• docgonzo
    replied

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
    Finalact is one of the best posters on this board. I lurk a lot and he's given me a ton of good insight over the years. I'm a manager at an old-school-cool apartment complex in Hollywood and we have vacancies if you're interested.

In the last 10 days I've had a birthday, turned 30, been filling inboxes with queries all around town for my last 3 feature specs, and doing my Midwest best to craft my current project like a pro. I'm being read by some big companies, entered into a couple contests, one script on the Blacklist. Was hoping to match Tarantino by selling my first script at 29, but so far it hasn't been in the cards or up to par. I'm a gambler by nature, so I kind of sickly enjoy the make or break, "any day it could happen" aspect of where I'm at right now. Will I sell a script before my unemployment money dries up? Tune in next week to find out...
    He is a she, actually. But agreed, she's one of the best posters on DD.

My last 10-ish days...

Met with a showrunner on one of my pilots. After some tweaks, he's willing to walk it into his studio where he has a deal. Working on the pitch doc after that.

Made some final edits on a feature that's out to the agencies for packaging this week.

Negotiating a deal on a feature spec. We're still far apart, but we're hoping to get some real movement in our direction this week.

Another feature is out for packaging overseas, but it has been radio silence. Might have the reps check in on that one.

All the while, I'm developing ideas for the next project. I'm thinking two more series, and another feature. Or maybe two features and a series. Haven't decided. Anyway, I'm trying to get myself to the point where I have three projects going simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied

This is what I've done in the past five days...

Negotiating a contract on a script (for over a month now). It falls through for minor reasons. I email saying ok, I thought we were so close... they email back with, oh, if you think we're close, how close... just like that, we're back in business, still open for discussions (no guarantees).

Had Zoom interviews with an HR officer, two VPs, and a Sr. Director in two days and it looks good. Have to meet with the CMO next. Not scheduled. Then I receive an offer late last night from another company (that I'd really rather NOT work for) and they want an answer. What to do? The stress of this is giving me a panic attack.

Searched for places to live in LA-- the land of concrete and coming from the land of trees in Connecticut, it's quite a shock. Found a perfect guest house on an historical building on South Irvine blvd, (Wilshire Park, I think) and it's amazing. Estate gardens. Two car garage. Quiet, secluded even not sure what the area is called. And there are trees. Lots of tree lined streets. (central LA, I think it's called) I email her and she just took a deposit from someone else but liked my story and wants to keep my phone number in case it falls through. Everything's included, heat, electricity, air conditioning, garbage, water and wifi. Cool, right?

It's like things always "almost" happen the way you want. A week from now I could be in tears, not having an awesome new job in LA, no option/purchase and no amazing new place to live.

Life is great. But life sucks a lot too. Sometimes it feels like we're so alone. I try to be grateful because there are millions in far less desirable places than I. I think of them to keep me grounded.

Happy Labor Day everyone.
    Finalact is one of the best posters on this board. I lurk a lot and he's given me a ton of good insight over the years. I'm a manager at an old-school-cool apartment complex in Hollywood and we have vacancies if you're interested.

In the last 10 days I've had a birthday, turned 30, been filling inboxes with queries all around town for my last 3 feature specs, and doing my Midwest best to craft my current project like a pro. I'm being read by some big companies, entered into a couple contests, one script on the Blacklist. Was hoping to match Tarantino by selling my first script at 29, but so far it hasn't been in the cards or up to par. I'm a gambler by nature, so I kind of sickly enjoy the make or break, "any day it could happen" aspect of where I'm at right now. Will I sell a script before my unemployment money dries up? Tune in next week to find out...

Leave a comment:

• Mark Somers
    replied

Banana?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X