Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Last 10 Days

Took the opening 15-page setup for a feature and trimmed it to a one-page flashback for the last pages of an original limited series TV pilot spec script.
    "Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.- - Ray Bradbury

Comment

Worked on rewrite.
      Wasted time on done deal.
      Thought about stopping doing both.
      Ate chocolate.

Comment

Worked on rewrite.
        Wasted time on done deal.
        Thought about stopping doing both.
        Ate chocolate.
        You my hero!! Wanna collaborate on a potential academy script? Not just writing. PM if interested.

--fallen

Comment

Quit Done Deal Forums. Again.

WRITE THOSE SPECS KIDS

Came back as I got worked up.

I'll try harder to quit you...
          Last edited by Bono; 06-23-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to actually do some work.

I've been working on my rewrite - it's painful and slow. I'm ready to get this done, but I know it takes time to get it right for rep.

I know we are all stuck inside and going crazy. Try to stay sane. Writing is helpful.

Comment

I've been reading novels and non-fiction books to prepare for my next project. I'm going to write it as a novel because the chances of it getting picked up on spec are slim, even if I managed to execute it well. This'll be my second attempt - I wrote a 400 something page novel years ago but it was a huge hunk of ****. I really did it just for the practice and to be able to say I wrote one.

In other news I accepted a job offer out of state. I'm going back to good old NM. The wife and I are pretty excited about that.
              Last edited by DDoc; 08-01-2020, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I finished an outline for a grounded comedy concept.

Got a really interesting idea for something a bit more esoteric, and I'm getting that rush of ideas that flesh out the concept when I'm typically onto something.

Trying to figure out which idea I should write first.

Lamenting that I can't physically sit down and type either of them for at least another few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                  I've been reading novels and non-fiction books to prepare for my next project. I'm going to write it as a novel because the chances of it getting picked up on spec are slim, even if I managed to execute it well. This'll be my second attempt - I wrote a 400 something page novel years ago but it was a huge hunk of ****. I really did it just for the practice and to be able to say I wrote one.

In other news I accepted a job offer out of state. I'm going back to good old NM. The wife and I are pretty excited about that.
                  Nice! I wrote 20K of my novel and forgot to go back... I was certain I'd write 50K no problem. Well I messed that up easily.

New Mexico eh? Watch out for houses with pizzas on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    Nice! I wrote 20K of my novel and forgot to go back... I was certain I'd write 50K no problem. Well I messed that up easily.

New Mexico eh? Watch out for houses with pizzas on the roof.
                    Lol. We scoped that house out. The older couple living there was in the driveway and they nodded like "yes god damnit this is it."

I pretty much grew up out there but farther south. I'll be living somewhere near Los Alamos now in the northern part. It's pretty up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Prezzy View Post
                      I finished an outline for a grounded comedy concept.

Got a really interesting idea for something a bit more esoteric, and I'm getting that rush of ideas that flesh out the concept when I'm typically onto something.

Trying to figure out which idea I should write first.

Lamenting that I can't physically sit down and type either of them for at least another few weeks.
                      Which idea has the bettter ending?

Which idea can you not stop thinking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        Which idea has the bettter ending?

Which idea can you not stop thinking about?
                        It's tough to say. Recency bias has me thinking about the esoteric idea a lot more right now because it's only a few days old, but I've also spent the past four weeks thinking about the grounded one to the point that I know everything about it.

Endings would probably be equally climactic, but I think audience might get more emotional impact from the esoteric idea.

Grounded one's ending is less emotional, more silly.

I think the clear divide is the characters in the esoteric are a bit easier to root for because of how the premise is constructed.

Comment

Flip a coin?

Combine them into ONE Idea.

Best title?

Best logline?

Best part to play for lead?

Comment

This is what I've done in the past five days...

Negotiating a contract on a script (for over a month now). It falls through for minor reasons. I email saying ok, I thought we were so close... they email back with, oh, if you think we're close, how close... just like that, we're back in business, still open for discussions (no guarantees).

Had Zoom interviews with an HR officer, two VPs, and a Sr. Director in two days and it looks good. Have to meet with the CMO next. Not scheduled. Then I receive an offer late last night from another company (that I'd really rather NOT work for) and they want an answer. What to do? The stress of this is giving me a panic attack.

Searched for places to live in LA-- the land of concrete and coming from the land of trees in Connecticut, it's quite a shock. Found a perfect guest house on an historical building on South Irvine blvd, (Wilshire Park, I think) and it's amazing. Estate gardens. Two car garage. Quiet, secluded even not sure what the area is called. And there are trees. Lots of tree lined streets. (central LA, I think it's called) I email her and she just took a deposit from someone else but liked my story and wants to keep my phone number in case it falls through. Everything's included, heat, electricity, air conditioning, garbage, water and wifi. Cool, right?

It's like things always "almost" happen the way you want. A week from now I could be in tears, not having an awesome new job in LA, no option/purchase and no amazing new place to live.

Life is great. But life sucks a lot too. Sometimes it feels like we're so alone. I try to be grateful because there are millions in far less desirable places than I. I think of them to keep me grounded.

Happy Labor Day everyone.
                            Last edited by finalact4; 09-05-2020, 10:50 AM.
                            "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I'm pulling for you, Lisa. 🙂
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Stress city!! That is a lot going on.

Crossing my fingers for you, on all counts. Hopefully the clouds will part and you'll know what to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X