No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Last 10 Days

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    My east coast-LA move was several years ago now but I was able to load the contents of a studio apt (futon, some dressers/tables/desks, etc) onto a movers van and then drive out myself to meet the van about a week later at my new LA apt. for $1,000ish as I recall. Maybe $1,500 tops (and another $500ish for gas and hotels on the drive out)
    I hear you.

But I'm coming from a later in life move. My fully furnished home was 2,000+ square feet. I donated, sold, threw away ($800+ to do so), just to downsize. I cook gourmet meals and my kitchen equip/appliances are extensive. Even with getting rid of most of my furniture, I will fill the smallest pod and still have a car to move as well. It's good to hear your side of the costs, but I think for someone forced to downsize in a week, these are considerable costs.

I so wish I could do what you did, but circumstances are different for each person. I'm actually envious.

When a company I took a job with in 2002 relocated by 3 bedroom, 2,000 1900s craftsman bungalow it cost them $20,000 to relocate me, my husband, my 9 month old daughter and my long haired German Shepherd and two cars. It's amazing, they send in a 40' trailer, movers walk into your house and literally pack up every single ITEM in a box, number them, organize them by room in ONE DAY. It's amazing. Including your two cars. That's they best!

I think it's important to see your experience and mine. Different needs, right? If I could have done it for under $2,000 I would. But I literally have to be there in a week with one week's notice.

A car alone will cost $2,000 to transport cross country. I have to have someone move the stuff in for me, I don't know anyone and cannot move it myself, so I have to pay movers. The fact that you have to pay an extra $700 (reduced to $554) just to deliver "city service" is a shocker.

I'm driving my car cross-country, so I can't drive a truck, not that I would ever want to. I have a short period of time to get there. I'm downsizing from a 2,000+ square foot home of 10+ years to 700 square feet. Just consider the tools and gardening equipment I don't need is daunting.

I'm a woman driving cross-country by myself. I'm not staying in a motel 8, no offense intended, but I want a good night sleep. Even a reasonable Marriot I need to be in a hotel that is safe, clean, and worry free, so it's going to be bare min $80/night, closer to $160. I'll let everyone know the real impact after I make the move.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not disputing your trip/plans, but if a single person who has owned a house and wants to do this cross country there are additional considerations. What year did you move out, JoeBanks? I mean, just the math alone for gas? 3100 miles, 23 miles to the gallon @ on average $2.99/gallon is $400 all by itself. And that's not diesel or a truck that gets 13mpg. Four nights @ $100/night (in city will be higher) is $400-$600, so $800-$1,000 min for a CAR packed to the hilt with as much as you can fit. That's it, clothes and office ****, and it ain't much.
    "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
      Right by me, welcome to the neighborhood. It was a lot prettier before 2020

Also be sure to fill your gas tank if you plan on taking the nature reserve route south through Arizona. I didn't and almost got stranded until I happened upon a station in the forest that I briefly thought was a mirage.
      Thanks for the GREAT TIP on the "fill up." I've heard about instances like that. I was originally going the Chicago-->Iowa-->Utah-->Denver route but the hours to get get to the Grand Canyon were sick.

I will now go the St Louis-->Oklahoma-->TX-->New Mexico-->Arizona route... it's the most efficient. I've seen the Grand Canyon from the top of Flagstaff, so if I have to put if off for a future visit, I'm good with that. A year from now, long weekend... yeah, make it my own. There's so many cool places to revisit on the west coast-->in California alone, I'm really looking forward to it. A bit concerned about my SI Asthma and the pollution, I've got my albuterol inhaler.

Beware Californians, I'll have a pepper spray gun soon.

Oh, for those who don't know, go to https://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/website and check out the sexual predators in your area. It gives you a lot of information that will help you make informed decisions about where you live.
      "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Congrats, finalact4! Your move sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I've had a lot of friends move this year and it's just more expensive than it was in previous years. So many people are moving around. It's like the great shake up.

My friends just moved a 2600 sq ft house from San Jose, CA to Vegas and it was $9000 for the movers to load a truck, drive it to Vegas and unload the truck into their new place. They had multiple beds/dressers/big furniture that was unreasonable to do with a U-Haul. They drove their cars to Vegas at the same time the moving truck drove their stuff.

I've done a couple of cross country trips -- from Nevada to New Jersey. This is when I was in grad school. The TX-Arizona route is the easiest one. The Denver route on I-70 goes through the Rockies, so it's prettier. But it adds time. And if your car is not tuned to high altitude, it can sputter over some of the mountain passes.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          What year did you move out, JoeBanks? I mean, just the math alone for gas? 3100 miles, 23 miles to the gallon @ on average $2.99/gallon is $400 all by itself. And that's not diesel or a truck that gets 13mpg. Four nights @ $100/night (in city will be higher) is $400-$600, so $800-$1,000 min for a CAR packed to the hilt with as much as you can fit. That's it, clothes and office ****, and it ain't much.
          2006, when gas was still sub $2.00/gallon (or so). Had to be in LA 3 days from the time I left Maryland, so no time to sightsee along the way. Stuck to the economy motel chains, which I think were sub $100/night for rooms. Definitely recommend the southern route, though from Texas to Palm Springs is when the terrain gets generally hella flat and boring. It's a fun thing that I never want to do again

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            An interesting thread about writing got hijacked by the minute and infinitely boring self-aggrandizing details about a cross-country move that already took up a lot of space on a different thread.

Ciao, DDP.
            Yeah, that DIFFERENT THREAD is in ONE ON ONE header. It's specifically for that type of conversation titled "Ideal LA Living Locations." So, sorry not sorry.

It takes little effort on your part to bypass or ignore my posts. Better yet, BLOCK ME instead of using passive aggression as a way to be mean to another human being.

This thread is called "The Last Ten Days." Now, maybe you're already in California, but many of us are NOT. Which means finding a way to get to Hollywood is relative to the conversation.

To that end, just to be clear... you're good with the jello comments, right? And the sexual undertones? Because those comments have so much to do with screenwriting.

Yeah, I'm happy to make this move. Yeah, it's great considering it's been a decade long effort to do so. Yeah, I'm excited that as a female I'm finally being paid MY VALUE instead of having my income devalued because of my sex.

BTW, if you can't figure out how to BLOCK someone. I can walk you through it.

So before you decide to demean and criticize a fellow writher for their excitement for hitting a milestone in their life, maybe take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself WHY you felt it was so important to condescend to me as if I'm not right here in front of you.

You don't like what I have to say. Block me. It's as simple as that.
            Last edited by finalact4; 09-17-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Lostfootage: Congrats, finalact4! Your move sounds pretty reasonable to me...
              Thanks, Lostfootage.

It looks like there are three routes. The dealership knew I was driving cross country so when they certified it they also added nitrous oxide inside the tires so I won't have pressure problems at altitude. It's definitely a shake up. Just the everyday stress level since COVID happened is incredible. I'm with Bono, on this one, sometimes I'm totally stressed and panic stricken that I'm considering going to a doctor for it, and I'm the last person that would ever considering medication, but the anxiety can be overwhelming.

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
              2006, when gas was still sub $2.00/gallon (or so). Had to be in LA 3 days from the time I left Maryland, so no time to sightsee along the way. Stuck to the economy motel chains, which I think were sub $100/night for rooms. Definitely recommend the southern route, though from Texas to Palm Springs is when the terrain gets generally hella flat and boring. It's a fun thing that I never want to do again
              It's amazing what 14 years can do to prices and right now gas is still at a low. I lived in Maryland before, gorgeous country-- do you miss it?

I think I will take your advice and head to the southern route through St Louis. It's the best route to hit the Grand Canyon, but I thought Denver would be cool, too.

I'll update the other thread for anyone interested in how the trip goes. I know I would have liked to read a thread about how to do it.

If you're open to connecting in LA, I am open to meeting other writers and going to writer events (that goes for anyone), COVID permitting. Thanks for the feedback, it's helped my reconsider my options.
              FA4

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

An interesting thread about writing got hijacked by the minute and infinitely boring self-aggrandizing details about a cross-country move that already took up a lot of space on a different thread.

Ciao, DDP.
                Stop. Please. Don't go.

Comment

Working...
                X