X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bono
    replied
    Re: The Last 10 Days

Also found this recently on youtube. Seems like another version of masterclass but interviews from artists we love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmtFBPfRp4 Around 2 min explained so much that I knew, but could never explain well.

https://offcamera.com/

I think I'll add it to my podcast list. I think i had this before, but didn't realize how smart it was until I saw video interviews.

Jason Mantzoukas I love him. He had great one too.

Leave a comment:

• Cyfress
    replied

Tiger Fang - you'd like I came across years ago. The title is something like "Award Winning Screenwriters On Screenwriting. It's all Oscar winners talking about their process. Like 12 or more writers Talking about their process.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFang
    replied

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Awesome. How are they? I saw the Sorkin one and I thought it was solid. Marketing team is amazing. I see commercials and I get pumped up!!! And can't believe they got such A level talent to do this. Must be a hell of a pay day and cut of profit, right???

SNL did a great spoof of them -- but I'm still waiting for Obama's masterclass on how to be a president.

*Unrelated every time I post I have to fix spacing after it -- it keeps doubling the space when I hit POST and i have to manually delete it. Anyone else? Maybe it's just Firefox.
    Personally, I love the Master Class series. The production quality is excellent—lighting, audio, cinematography (yes), graphics, and editing. My first class was Shonda Rhimes’ tutorial. It was an education in writing for television—made more interesting because my girlfriend (and I) have seen every episode of Grey’s Anatomy—but more than that, it was wonderful to hear someone speak so well and so flawlessly. If you transcribed Ms. Rhimes’ dialogue from the course to paper, it would receive an A+ in an English class for correct grammar and excellent sentence structure and vocabulary.

The writers I’ve chosen to listen to point out things that seem obvious when you hear them said, but you might not have considered them as directly as when they give them to you or in the context in which they’re given. Anyone who has bothered to educate themselves about whatever their writing discipline will find much of it is going over old ground but at the hands of a professional and masters of their corner of the craft. That, to me, is not something to be sneezed at.

There are many nuggets of gold to be mined from the old ground when it’s covered by these successful icons of their respective fields. One writer—Joyce Carol Oates, who follows her Creative Writing course curriculum from Princeton—involved two of her students in a discussion first of a Hemingway story, then of stories written by each of the students. A follow-along course guide in PDF is available, and user participation is encouraged in a forum for class participants.

With a year to listen to so many authors who I would otherwise never hear their lectures or advice on writing, the Master Class series is quite a bargain if one pays for it, let alone when it’s a gift.

Unrelated: The double-spacing happened to me a lot when I used Firefox. I always thought it was because Big Brother was/is monitoring me, or (now) the Russian hackers were/are gathering ammunition for their upcoming big Agitpr├│p push, or both.
    Last edited by TigerFang; 05-31-2020, 06:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Awesome. How are they? I saw the Sorkin one and I thought it was solid. Marketing team is amazing. I see commercials and I get pumped up!!! And can't believe they got such A level talent to do this. Must be a hell of a pay day and cut of profit, right???

SNL did a great spoof of them -- but I'm still waiting for Obama's masterclass on how to be a president.

*Unrelated every time I post I have to fix spacing after it -- it keeps doubling the space when I hit POST and i have to manually delete it. Anyone else? Maybe it's just Firefox.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFang
    replied

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
    Do you have to pay for all those master classes?
    A playwright friend (produced) in Florida bought in on the Master Class series as part of a promotion: buy a one-year subscription and give a one-year subscription to a friend for free. I was the grateful friend and recipient of the gift. I proofread her plays for her and she likes my suggestions for them, too. Lucky me.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I was hoping to help push me and you and other into focusing on writing. And trust me, writing your own fake world is very relaxing.

I've been listening to more music these days, podcasts always... but I did this anyway -- but I love to watch comfort movies, TV shows, youtube clips of things I know.

In general I pretend it's 1978 to 1995 and enjoy life.

Also picked now to finally lose weight. So do whatever you have to do to focus on your energy on good things for your writing -- and first of course your mental and physical health.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

In all sincerity, I'm in awe of you all and your discipline.

With so much more time on my hands with shelter in place, I've wanted to get back on track with my writing.

However, the current social and political realities unfolding are, to me, stranger than fiction and I lose focus on my stuff rather quickly. With that said...

I'm (slowly) reworking the plot on one script.

I'm working (slowly) on finishing a novella that I intend to adapt for the screen.

Good thread by the way.
    Last edited by sc111; 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• lostfootage
    replied

I'm in between a 3rd/4th draft of a feature that I started writing in January. It's an anti-romantic comedy. It's where these two people make a go of it but they should definitely not be a couple, and they don't end up together. I want to send it to Austin also.

And also a half-hour TV pilot that's between a 3rd-4th draft. I want to do a quick draft of that and send it to Austin.

Leave a comment:

• ZAZluvr
    replied

Bono -- thanks for starting this thread!

The kids' schooling takes priority, so I find myself merely thinking about how to spruce up scenes I'm currently writing for my Willoughby feature spec while I'm playing the new and unique role of 1st grade and 6th grade teacher.

But when they go to bed or when I'm able to eke out time if they're occupied:
    1. writing and editing my spec's three-act structure
    2. writing scenes for said spec
    3. realizing my script is going too fast and will be finished in 60 pages
    4. returning to my three-act structure sheet and kicking myself for departing from it
    5. writing scenes I should've written in item #2
    6. reading scripts whose scene structures and writing style might pertain to mine (Mystic River, Bourne Supremacy, Silence of the Lambs)
    7. visiting Nicholl's Facebook page too often to see if their feedback excerpts could at all possibly pertain to my political thriller ("Beautiful" and "touching" don't.)
    8. waiting, waiting, for a manager to get back to me about the script I sent him... if he ever does

A pro writer friend of mine told me once -- I'm not a better writer than you -- I just write more than you do and consistently.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• fallenangel
    replied

Features are a ****ing slog even under the best of conditions.
    Amen, brother!

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

JoeBanks -- what made you finish it now? I'm always curious why writers don't finish things --
    Mostly the quarantine. I only had about 30 pages left (after multiple takes on the first two acts over the past [censored] years) when everything shut down so there really were no excuses left for me to stay in and knock them out. Features are a ****ing slog even under the best of conditions.

Leave a comment:

• RogerOThornhill
    replied

Mostly just thinking.

I have a client in mind for a 25-30 minute film...the client is of course unaware that he will be a client...but I think if I can make the concept work he'll eventually buy.

To make the concept work, I need to give an object not only a personality, but I'm trying to give the object a character arc. And thus the thinking phase continues. I can dress up the object and suggest some mood lighting for a little personality, but the rest I need to do by sound, function and interaction with the humans around it.

Perhaps the object doesn't quite get a character arc, but the way it is used and treated might change. It's a little obtuse yet, so I'm not really writing anything yet, just pondering the set-up.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

All good stuff.

JoeBanks -- what made you finish it now? I'm always curious why writers don't finish things -- I have plenty of reasons. I used to finish everything I wrote no matter how bad. Then I got a rep... and oh boy, so many dead Act One's of great ideas sit in a folder on my desktop...

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied

Finished a rom-com spec that i've been working on for [censored] years. Final polish this weekend for AFF and Black List submissions

Leave a comment:

• fallenangel
    replied

Fallen - Last 10.

- bought FadeIn software
    - started punching in SLUG LINES for feature length outline I've been creating for past 2 years.
    - started filling in scene description for each scene.
    - been dabbling with dialogue for a few scenes.
    - In parallel, started writing a short that represents the feature length story.

Next 20 days.
    - Complete script skeleton with SLUG LINES and Description.
    - Complete Short v0.1.
    - Start writing ACTION and DIALOGUE.

Next 90 days.
    - Finish first feature draft.
    - Finish short final version.

2021 Summer.
    - Finish final script (after notes, feed backs etc.)
    - Produce short. Submit to festivals.
    - Start sending out feature script.

2021 Fall.
    - Start kick-starter to raise funds for feature.

--fallen

Leave a comment:

Working...
X