No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK7576
    replied
    The bitter scriptreader has a number of pro writers who conveyed the spec pilots that got them work. Check it out. If you can't find it, say so and I'll try to link it.

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Satriales View Post

Is spec’ing TV shows still a thing?
    Not as much as it used to be, but a good number of showrunners still like to see a spec for staffing, to see if you can write for voice/tone. And since it’s been almost ten (!) years since I wrote my last one, it’s not a bad exercise just to have something current in the portfolio if needed

Leave a comment:

• Satriales
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

Thanks. As fun as writing the White Collar was at the time, since then I've concentrated on more historical-based/biopic type stuff (Black List friendly). So this one's a Crown spec to be of a piece with my originals.
    Is spec’ing TV shows still a thing?

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Bono View Post

Well congrats on writing the new pilot. And be great if black list actually helped some writers around here for a change!

I loved White Collar. Did you pick another comedy drama like it?
    Thanks. As fun as writing the White Collar was at the time, since then I've concentrated on more historical-based/biopic type stuff (Black List friendly). So this one's a Crown spec to be of a piece with my originals.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    The second thing I finished in quarantine, a new pilot, got the elusive 8 score on Black List today, and a couple industry downloads already before BL tweets about it tomorrow. It's a cool feeling when a reader responds completely to your intention with a thing, mostly because it happens so rarely

Now about 40 pages into my first TV spec in a real long time (the last one was a White Collar) to submit for Austin next Friday, and WB Fellowship at the end of the month.

Hopefully Arclight will have its **** sorted out by Memorial Day so the Dome can reopen in time to treat myself
    Well congrats on writing the new pilot. And be great if black list actually helped some writers around here for a change!

I loved White Collar. Did you pick another comedy drama like it?

Leave a comment:

• JoeBanks
    replied
    The second thing I finished in quarantine, a new pilot, got the elusive 8 score on Black List today, and a couple industry downloads already before BL tweets about it tomorrow. It's a cool feeling when a reader responds completely to your intention with a thing, mostly because it happens so rarely

Now about 40 pages into my first TV spec in a real long time (the last one was a White Collar) to submit for Austin next Friday, and WB Fellowship at the end of the month.

Hopefully Arclight will have its **** sorted out by Memorial Day so the Dome can reopen in time to treat myself

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    Annoyed half the board.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    I worked on an outline for my next hit comedy movie that I showed to many people for feedback and got great feedback -- from at least 2 members on this board. Both women. I'm crazy like that! Sometimes I even let them vote.

- Commander Bono

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied
    I think they key to good dialogue is it for it to sound like it's your friends talking and a natural flow or it's so captivating like Sorkin you wish you had smarter friends who could talk like that but in real life not everyone is so smart.

What you don't want is "Rachel, as you know, we've been best friends for 25 years" kind of dialogue. But maybe you want "Rachel, you're a shitty best friend today."

But rewatching The West Wing a lot (again now that I can think about the white house in some happy terms) sure Sorkin has a way of characters just saying out loud what they're thinking but of course in a funny/clever way -- but there is plenty of subtext in other ways. He knows the power of silence and sometimes it's just a look. But yeah now that you say it, his characters often just say what they want, but some of that could be what he's writing about. It seems he's often writing about the real world so it lends itself more to that I think than if he was writing American Beauty type movies.

Also Sorkin is very good at being ahead of the audience and we hear stuff before we learn it or see it. Plays with structure and going back in time and how it all connects. So it's all how it's presented. And who is doing it.

Leave a comment:

• Prezzy
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Then again, Aaron Sorkin once told me the trick to his dialogue is that no one uses subtext. When you have a crush on someone, you don't say "nice sweater," you say "you know I've got a crush on you, right?"
    That's interesting screenwriting advice, but questionable romantic advice.

"Nice sweater" is the ultimate pickup line. Gets me laid every time.

Honestly though, no disrespect to those that do, but I can't say I understand why some writers consciously focus on subtext. If you're writing an engaging and organic conversation in the context of your story world, then it's most likely going to be there in the places it needs to be.

If every line is dripping with subtext, then your characters are just speaking in riddles.

I'm not saying subtext isn't important, just maybe not stress over it so much unless everyone is telling you that your dialogue is too on the nose. In which case, time to break out that stress ball, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• fallenangel
    replied
    no one uses subtext.
    Interesting, for a man who wrote A Few Good Men. Dialogue in the script are heavy with subtext...

--fallen
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-03-2021, 04:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.

Leave a comment:

• JeffLowell
    replied
    Then again, Aaron Sorkin once told me the trick to his dialogue is that no one uses subtext. When you have a crush on someone, you don't say "nice sweater," you say "you know I've got a crush on you, right?"

Leave a comment:

• fallenangel
    replied
    Been working on dialogue for the past 10 days. Struggling. Alan Ball talked about the importance of subtext in a dialogue and how having a subtext in every dialogue was so important for him while writing American Beauty. Something, I feel, separates good from great. Subtext.

--fallen

Leave a comment:

• Southern_land
    replied
    I've been tweaking where I can. Hopefully I'm coming off a ten day massive insomnia attack (first great sleep last night😀) so with full awareness of my diminished capacity I've been carefully rewriting small sections of several scripts. Carefully so as not to destroy anything valuable in exhausted blundering about.

Last edited by Southern_land; 02-02-2021, 01:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fallenangel
    replied
    Bono Since you were the OP, makes sense for you to get this thread back on track. RE: The Last 10 Days. Anything?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X