Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Concept vs New High Concept

Joe, I appreciate the concern. Cyfress’s conspiracy theories and fetishization of physical violence directed at me are creepy, I’ll admit.

Will, is there a policy here about physical threats against other members?

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What are you scared???? I just said you were safe by me as long as you didn't physically attack my wife and kids which I'm sure you wouldn't. Where's all that internet bravado that you used to have and that Ninja oozed???? Don't be scared Jeff, you're safe by me. Safe means no threat. Safe isn't a threat.

You're still trying to cancel me Lowell. Maybe we both should be banned, Jeff. I mean you operated two accounts and in your pseudonym account tried to buddy up to me so you can acquire my information. I don't think that's kosher, and if it is it god damn shouldn't be.

You singled me out. You don't like me cause I "sold" screenwriting advice and you hate that. You hate when people jump around here giving advice without any of the credits to back it up. You hate that. So, I said something that you thought was wrong or inaccurate and you decided you were gonna come for me and now after I got tired of it and took the kid gloves off in dealing with you, you now want people to step in and help you. You're a dck Jeff. I know all I need to know about you to know that. Your ego is bigger than your belly and this place massages the sh!t out of it. Stop shaking in your boots Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post

That NinjaNinja on the other hand, I can't believe someone hasn't taken a bat to their head.

For instance, look at the post exchange where SC111 said there were not many high concept ideas coming out in 2020. Jeff politely corrected her and explained why they did fit the bill of high concept. It was so sweet and endearing. But imagine if someone else had said that about the movies coming out, say me. He would've been rude, demeaning, and insulting.

I mean, he created a second account under a pseudonym just so he could torture aspiring writers. I think that's all you need to know about Jeff Lowell as a person. He literally chased Nikeeegodess off these boards cause he wouldn't leave her alone. He tried to bully me, but he realized that was not gonna work. You have to stand up to bullies and b!tch slap them.
        Cyfress, you must come to terms that blame isn't as one sided as you believe.

In the "Picking Right Idea" thread, Jeff was having a normal discussion with you on the topic. He wasn't rude until you went off on him because you say of a dig about your service and you also went off and got nasty arrogant with him because he gave his honest opinion about your story idea, which you didn't like.

Jeff, from seeing your advice in the forums, believes your knowledge isn't at a level where it irks him that you're reading and giving advice for a fee on a writer's precocious commodity, their screenplay.

Whether or not his opinion is correct, doesn't matter. He's allowed to give his opinion, though it should be stated in the SERVICES forum and not in the screenwriting threads, where they should stay on topic and not doing like I'm doing now.

Cyfress let's get the Ninja issue straight. I've seen those Ninja posts before they were deleted and no way are they even close to being monstrous posts as you portray.

In one post by Nikeeegodess, she was saying something ridiculous about: "When you sign a 2 year contract with an agent..."

Ninja posted: An agent will work with you as long as he wants and it's the same with a writer. He can work or not with an agent as long as he wants.

Cyfress, you say he attacked you when you made a post about High Concept. Come on, I seen that post. You were also saying something ridiculous. I didn't write down notes because I didn't know I would be testifying, but you were saying something like whether or not it's high concept depends on if it's (don't remember exactly how you put it) external or internal something in that vein.

Ninja posted that these characteristics have nothing to do with high concept. The rudest post I saw by Ninja was something along the line of: This is the worst advice I've seen.

Comment

Joe, because it's not you - you think it's no big deal and you also miss lots of things. Because it's not you. We've all seen what happens when YOU feel attacked. Here come the encyclopedia length posts about your rights and what you're gonna do no matter what when you feel attacked. But you never think anyone else has that right, you never feel anyone is attacked like you are I guess. We're all the hero of our own stories, Joe. So, don't play a supporting character in mine.

Jeff never denied a single accusation.

What would happen Joe if someone who didn't like you here(...and plz take a number) sidled up to you under an alternate account for the specific reason of securing your real info. I'd like to read the War and Peace like post you'd write on that.

What if the people I'm working with all wanted a refund because of what Jeff said? Mind you, not a single person has come forward to complain about what they get from me. Not one and I have worked with many from DD. Mind you, Jeff has not read a single bit of advice I'd given anyone who signed up. Let the people who pay me complain. Let them come here and say they did not get their monies worth. Why does someone who knows nothing about what I do and have done try to cancel me? Why? Cause I said something he didn't agree with? It's dirty and the whole trying to acquire my real name by buddying up to me from a secondary account IS crossing the line. I can only imagine if someone did that to you, Joe.

And...those Ninja posts were so harmless that "someone" went right on and deleted them all. Yea, Joe. You got the whole picture as usual.

Comment

Joe, thanks for going to bat for me, but I think the only way to keep this thread from being derailed and locked as well is just starve him of the attention he clearly craves.

Back on topic:

My issue about this was that I heard members tell writers such things as: Their story idea was bad. Think of a great idea; That's a bad story idea. Don't be lazy. Think of a great idea; Writing a mediocre story idea is a sign of an amateur and not a professional; A writer writes a mediocre story idea because he doesn't have the ability to think of something better, etc.
            When I read comments on script pages and loglines, I find that most people here go out of their way to be kind. There are a few blunt members, but there's usually a healthy mix.

Honestly, if a writer can't handle rejection from a few people on a message board, this might not be the right career.

As for advice that people should strive not to write a mediocre story idea... it should only upset someone if they know they have a mediocre idea. And if that's the case, it's not great.

Comment

If you have an issue with someone please don't drag it out on the board. That we don't need ever -- particularly not during this time.

In our guidelines, we do ask folks various things such as to be civil & considerate along with not using provocative, slanderous/libelous, defamatory or threatening language.

I'd like to avoid having to ban anyone. It's been such a long time since that's had to happen, and that's been nice. So please, let's not see it come to that.

If you don't "agree" with someone, then please put them on ignore and that way you don't have to see their posts. If you want to offer advice or feedback, as always, then please be respectful with your comments and choose your words carefully, so you don't heighten a discussion to an unnecessary & unneeded argument.

This is a forum about writing scripts for film and TV. That's it. Help each other out, and as that old expression goes, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Please. Now that doesn't mean you can't offer some honest feedback & advice or some criticism, as needed, but please don't be ugly about it.

Not to sound preachy or overly philosophical, but there are more than enough problems in this world right now. Discussing writing and the business shouldn't be one of them.
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Thanks, Will. Great advice!

Comment

I concur!

Hey, Israel and the UAE just made nice-nice so there's always hope! Donald Trump hard at work for the American people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post

What would happen Joe if someone who didn't like you here(...and plz take a number) sidled up to you under an alternate account for the specific reason of securing your real info.
                    Cyfress, you got this backwards.

Jeff, I understand your point about feeding into Cyfress' whoa-is-me angst to be portrayed as the victim, but I must address this.

Cyfress, your post reminds me of the movie FALLING DOWN. You think you're the good guy, but no, you're not. You VIOLENTLY crossed the line with your threats of physical violence and sending off letters to Jeff's employers to get him terminated.

If someone violently threatened me as you did to Jeff, you better believe I'll do anything possible to find out this person's identity so I could take the necessary precautions to protect my family, co-workers and myself.

Cyfress, your behavior deserved an immediate ban from the site, but it seems Will is a softy. I would at least hope Will will warn ANYONE that the next time this person makes physical threats, he/she would be banned from the site.

Edited to add: I posted before I seen Will's post.

Comment

As always Joe. You got things 100% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

As for advice that people should strive not to write a mediocre story idea... it should only upset someone if they know they have a mediocre idea. And if that's the case, it's not great.
                        Yes, I wouldn't consider it at the same level as great, but will you concede that this mediocre idea just may be the RIGHT script at the RIGHT time for the RIGHT buyer?

I mean, like Goldman says, who knows in this business?

Comment

Joe, let someone read this romantic comedy of yours and they can tell us if it is any good or not. From reading your American Slaves script, I could tell a big weakness of yours is Act 2. I find this to be true in a lot of aspiring writers. I wonder if this script has the same issue.

Let Bono read it. He says comedy is his thing and if he has a rep than you have to think he writes of a certain quality.

Comment

Joe, stuff sells all the time that surprises me.

But no matter how many ways you ask, I just don't understand the mindset of someone going "well, I know this idea is mediocre, but rather than spend time coming up with something better, I'm going to spend the next six months writing it."

BTW, Goldman's quote is widely misunderstood/misused. Actual quote: "Nobody knows anything. Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.”

The three glib words that get quoted don't match up with the sentences that come after it. He believed that no one knows anything for certain, which isn't as quotable, but also isn't something that anyone really argues against.

It doesn't mean "experience and wisdom don't have a place, because it's all random," which is how it's usually used.

Comment

Cyfress, really, you gotta stop. I'll be posting the teen romantic comedy soon. You can tear it apart all you want. I welcome it. I want to make it as strong as it can be. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

I just don't understand the mindset of someone going "well, I know this idea is mediocre, but rather than spend time coming up with something better, I'm going to spend the next six months writing it."
                                I'm not saying you're wrong. Great, high concepts are the fast track of getting Hollywood's attention, but if someone has the passion to write that mediocre story idea, I wouldn't say, no, it's a bad idea. Think of something better.

I understand your opinion: you're not telling a writer not to write something he's passionate about, but you think it's not the best way for a writer to expend his time and energy on.
                                Last edited by JoeNYC; 08-15-2020, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X