X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: High Concept vs New High Concept

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post

I believe the vast majority suck.
    Well, this certainly answered my question on whether or not you're an honest person.

Comment

Originally posted by Julysses View Post
      you're in a different position than anyone else on the board in that you can get a meeting and pitch an idea without a script. [I assume]

could be because of this process and having a good network of readers and professionals to bounce ideas off of...

getting notes or criticism from someone who isn't a screenwriter could be safer and easier to digest?
      I was unclear - I'm talking about when I'm writing a new spec script (I'd always rather do that than sell a pitch). I pitch the basic idea to people I know to see if they like it, if they recognize it, etc.

And have them pinch your idea for themselves! I know you can't copyright ideas but something unique like The Matrix, The Terminator, Ghostbusters is going to sell and anything similar is going to be seen as a derivative and compared unfavourably. So if your peers (especially professionals who you know can write fast and write exceedingly well) get their first with your concept then you're gonna be the bridesmaid that dropped the bouquet.
      Yeah, I'm not worried that a friend is going to write an idea I told them.

FWIW, I think a lot of people are too precious with their ideas - they show up here and say "I HAVE THE CONCEPT OF THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER" and never talk about it, so never get help or reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
        I was unclear - I'm talking about when I'm writing a new spec script (I'd always rather do that than sell a pitch).
        yeah, I understood that part... I was referring to that you maybe take it more seriously because you have had sales, not that you plan to sell a pitch

I pitch the basic idea to people I know to see if they like it, if they recognize it, etc.
        get directors, producers, other writers that want to read your work or listen to your pitches for new ideas to get them to where they are at their best?

who should the normal people pitch to get this coverage?
        Last edited by Julysses; 08-18-2020, 05:29 AM.
        Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

FWIW, I think a lot of people are too precious with their ideas - they show up here and say "I HAVE THE CONCEPT OF THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER" and never talk about it, so never get help or reaction.
          I wouldn't think a friend would take another writer's idea for their own.

I wouldn't put up an idea I'm seriously thinking about writing here, at least not until the outline or first draft are done, but I would and do share it with writers I trust including my writer's group.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Last edited by JeffLowell; 11-08-2020, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I think most people are too in love with their own ideas to want to steal other people's ideas. And the people that would be desperate enough to steal an idea likely don't have the skills to bring it to fruition anyway. So I don't hold back on pitching an idea due to worry about idea theft.

Comment

If I thought I had something really clever and commercial, I probably wouldn't post it here - but I would have no problem sending it privately to the people here I've gotten to know over the years. And publicly, I might dig around to see if it's been done.

For example, I thought "Palm Springs- was really smart. I'd ask my friends "I'm thinking of doing a Groundhog Day type romcom, with the man and woman trapped in the loop together.- Here I might ask if anyone can think of any Groundhog Day type movies, then watch what people recommended.

Comment

If I thought I had something really clever and commercial, I probably wouldn't post it here - but I would have no problem sending it privately to the people here I've gotten to know over the years. And publicly, I might dig around to see if it's been done.

For example, I thought "Palm Springs- was really smart. I'd ask my friends "I'm thinking of doing a Groundhog Day type romcom, with the man and woman trapped in the loop together.- Here I might ask if anyone can think of any Groundhog Day type movies, then watch what people recommended.
                  This sounds like a good strategy. I do find value in the bouncing around stage. Either because people start relating to the story and expand it in ways my brain would never go by itself, or I see their eyes glaze over and I know it's a dud, at least the pitch and probably the core idea.

I keep meaning to watch Palm Springs. I brought up Hulu last weekend to watch it and ended up watching another movie instead, which I thought was very well done. The Assistant, which is the day in the life of an assistant to a tyrannical producer like Harvey Weinstein. It's one day, you never see the boss (but you hear him) and it starts off feeling very small, but I became completely engaged in the story and I'm still thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                    I think most people are too in love with their own ideas to want to steal other people's ideas. And the people that would be desperate enough to steal an idea likely don't have the skills to bring it to fruition anyway. So I don't hold back on pitching an idea due to worry about idea theft.
                    Jeff answered this, but I just want to mention that it's a fact that sometimes concepts do get stolen. Some writers have proven it in court. Billy Wilder was proven to had stolen a writer's story without compensation.

If a writer has a unique, great high concept, where people hearing it would say "Wow!," I do not suggest for him to post it publicly until the script is completed and he needs help to craft a strong logline for the marketplace.

The majority of concepts, especially Low Concepts, are dependent on its execution, so these loglines are okay to post.

Comment

Julysses:
                      I hear good things about Cyfress.
                      But do you hear them from anyone except Cyfress?
                      M.A.G.A.

Comment

But do you hear them from anyone except Cyfress?
                        Please, I suggest we stop singling people out for personal talk. These of screenwriting forums to talk about the craft and business. This is not a gossip forum.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                          Please, I suggest we stop singling people out for personal talk. These of screenwriting forums to talk about the craft and business. This is not a gossip forum.
                          You forgot to quote Jeff as well.
                          M.A.G.A.

Comment

I hear great things about that Sundown!

When the U.S. wants to torture terrorists they lock them in a room with her spewing her knowledge on screenwriting!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                              When the U.S. wants to torture terrorists they lock them in a room with her spewing her knowledge on screenwriting!
                              Congrats - you finally came up with a high concept idea.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

OMG! I did it mommy!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X