No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: High Concept vs New High Concept

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
    Most of the polyamorous relationships I've been around, and I've been around more than a few living here in San Francisco, devolved over time due to jealousy. I personally don't understand the arrangement because I have trouble giving enough time to one relationship, let alone multiple relationships. But still polyamory is interesting to me from my armchair.
    I don't understand it either for the same reason. All this togetherness with COVID -- me, him, the teen -- is a relationship challenge on some days. Imagine a poly relationship during COVID lockdown? Ha!

I do think the topic is more suited to feature than a TV pilot. I had never thought about it with a thriller aspect. That is something to think about.

Your situation where kids are involved makes it more interesting.

Did you see BIG LOVE? I think a lot of the story lines also showed the main character grappling a lot with jealousy of the wives. That was about religious polygamy, not liberal polyamory. But I think much of it ends up being the same. My favorite episode was when the husband character demands a night off to himself because he can't keep up with servicing three women sexually. It still makes me laugh out loud.
    I agree -- better as a feature. The situation with the poly family's kids down the street concerned me the most. After they moved away, my kid shared some things she witnessed. She's always done this since grade school -- keeps mum on some of the odd things she's seen going on at her friends' homes because she assumed I'd stop her from going to their homes. And she's correct. But when those connections ended, she tells all.

Anyway. What she told me (and what her friend told me when venting) sort of confirms my first impression of Wife 2. She came off to me as a con woman. Add in information my kid spilled after they moved away, my impression was that she saw this couple as a road to financial security (which she didn't have before). Perhaps I could massage it into a thriller.

As for Big Love, I half watched a couple of episodes and lost interest. However, late during one of my insomnia nights, I watched a documentary that followed a few poly relationships. One of which called itself a "pod" with multiple relationships inside and outside the core relationship.

What I found weirdly fascinating was how they'd develop all these "rules" and the fallout when someone was perceived as breaking the rules. Funny in a dark way but there was a lot of emotional angst and stress. I have no idea why anyone would choose that.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
      Weighty themes. True redemption story. Hollywood loves Hollywood. Beloved story that would display an ability to cobble together your own IP from multiple sources. If done right would definitely get you in rooms.

Also, Stewart is a serial killer.
      Thanks. Makes sense. Stewart as a serial killer? Wow.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I would watch a movie where Jimmy Stewart is a serial killer.

It'd be like Scream set in an alternate version of 1940's Hollywood. Katherine Hepburn could die in the opening scene, and Humphrey Bogart could be the one that solves the mystery of the identity of the killer.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          Julysses:
          I'm sorry, I've read your questions over and over and I don't understand what you're asking.
          heh... I go to the zoo to watch the animals, not get eaten by them.

no, I was just asking who would give the best notes on a screenplay? to get your concept the best it can be...

Maybe a Producer because they see the overall picture?

...or maybe a Director because they know how to develop the project for actors?
          Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            A woman named Sofia Stewart filed lawsuits claiming both the Matrix and Terminator were stolen from work she had submitted to the directors of those movies. She lost.
            I think that lady was not right in the head

there are plenty of legit lawsuits concerning screenwriters and their screenplays
            Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              It's not about stealing an idea, it's about executing it better and faster.
              that's the professional writer mentality ... lol ... what's an idea really worth? I need to write something and make money so any idea will do.

we're sorta getting into a social contract or morality clause conversation... which can be interesting, especially in Hollywood, where everyone's life is scrutinized and under a microscope.

all of us writers are under a social contract on this board to act nicely and behave certain ways towards each other, which would pertain to other people concepts... the question being, should I help someone develop their idea or should I just take it because I am a million times better writer?

I can see FinalAct4's point of striking while the iron is hot and that an idea has little importance to the execution, but moral clause is there to save you from destroying your reputation

anyways, back to creating that amazing concept, that can be written on a single sheet of paper and worth 10 trillion dollars!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
                Jesus H Krhyszt, people. Surely it's not that hard to define:
                Low Concept = the kind of stuff that happens in everyday life.
                High Concept = the kind of stuff that doesn't happen in everyday life.

Or am I missing something?
                I'm stealing that.

I think he's got it exactly. Pilots fly ever day, but they don't fight the Russians and die in crashes every day. Ships sail every day, but they don't usually hit icebergs.
                Wait a second, thieving Jeff. Are you sure that that definition is adequate? Isn't some degree of originality also required for a High Concept?

For example, zombies are "the kind of stuff that doesn't happen in everyday life" - they're fictional too - but would the mere inclusion of zombies make any screenplay High Concept?

TEA TIME OF THE DEAD
                Horror
                A man is quite worried when some zombies appear outside his house at four o'clock in the afternoon.

Would that count as High Concept?
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

There are bad high concepts.

Comment

Most of the polyamorous relationships I've been around, and I've been around more than a few living here in San Francisco, devolved over time due to jealousy. I personally don't understand the arrangement because I have trouble giving enough time to one relationship, let alone multiple relationships. But still polyamory is interesting to me from my armchair.

I do think the topic is more suited to feature than a TV pilot. I had never thought about it with a thriller aspect. That is something to think about.

Your situation where kids are involved makes it more interesting.

Did you see BIG LOVE? I think a lot of the story lines also showed the main character grappling a lot with jealousy of the wives. That was about religious polygamy, not liberal polyamory. But I think much of it ends up being the same. My favorite episode was when the husband character demands a night off to himself because he can't keep up with servicing three women sexually. It still makes me laugh out loud.
                    There was a show on Audience Network (now defunct) called You Me Her that was about a married couple entering a polyamorous relationship with another woman to spice things up. Decent show from what I saw. Kind of flew under the radar, but it was on for five seasons. Might be worth checking out if you can find it.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      ... a ... couple entering a polyamorous relationship with another woman to spice things up.
                      Try that with sisters. It's all fun and games for about half an hour, but then it gets rather... um... accusatory.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                        There was a show on Audience Network (now defunct) called You Me Her that was about a married couple entering a polyamorous relationship with another woman to spice things up. Decent show from what I saw. Kind of flew under the radar, but it was on for five seasons. Might be worth checking out if you can find it.
                        Thank you. Interesting! I'll have to find this one. I completely missed it.

Comment

There are bad high concepts.
                          But at least you're not saying that it's not High Concept - so it's worth a shot, right?

I'm being only partly facetious there, because I reckon that even that "bad high concept", with some genre massaging and a less relaxed logline, could be worth a pitch/query.

HOME OF THE DEAD
                          Horror
                          An elderly widower/widow living alone must fortify his/her home, or risk an escape, when faced with a relentless siege of zombies, as the world outside descends into violent disorder.

Maybe that needs a twist and/or more kapow. Perhaps the protagonist turns out to be ex special forces, and has a stash of heavy munitions in their garage. But zombies have broken into the garage. Yes, that's basically Harry Brown [2009] meets John Wick [2014] with zombies.

Comment

A swat team tries to serve a no knock warrant at 4am to the wrong suburban home, which happens to be fortified and occupied by a well armed retired action star.

High? Low? Not worth talking about? Too close to Crayon's?

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
                              A swat team tries to serve a no knock warrant at 4am to the wrong suburban home, which happens to be fortified and occupied by a well armed retired action star.

High? Low? Not worth talking about? Too close to Crayon's?
                              High.

(And he has the same name as the other guy, because wouldn't they recognize him if he were an action star? Also, maybe he can be guilty of some minor crime, like he owes an ex-wife or ex-husband alimony so there's an added mix up that he thinks he just needs to call his lawyer with a the check is in the mail thing. But then he finds out they think he's really this other guy?)

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                                High.

(And he has the same name as the other guy, because wouldn't they recognize him if he were an action star? Also, maybe he can be guilty of some minor crime, like he owes an ex-wife or ex-husband alimony so there's an added mix up that he thinks he just needs to call his lawyer with a the check is in the mail thing. But then he finds out they think he's really this other guy?)
                                Good points and suggestions.

Just came up with the idea/concept, triggered by Crayon's which brought back thoughts of the recent killing of a woman mistakenly killed during a no knock warrant. So the concept is completely undeveloped.

Comment

Working...
                                X