Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of short scripts

When someone says they're looking for a short script, what length are they looking for? I saw one recently that specified 5 minutes but that seems shorter than other short films I've seen. Is there a standard length for short scripts?

Re: Length of short scripts

Shorts are anything shorter than a feature, that could be 70, 60, 50, 45, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5, 2, 1 minutes in length. There is no standard length for a short.
    Fortune favors the bold - Virgil

Comment

There is a trend to make shorter short films than normal because when a festival is programming their line-up and they have say 5 minutes to fill and there's a great 30 minute short and a very good 5 minute short, they just go with the 5, even if it is "worse."

To support this, I just looked up Zach Braff's blog, which I remember something similar stated, here's what he has to say about it:

Advice for aspiring filmmakers? Go make short films. Nowadays Final Cut is available to all, video cameras are cheap. Go out and shoot 50 short films and send your best one to festivals. But keep them short. Festivals like to program shorts before movies. I made the mistake in film school of making a 25 minute short; got rejected everywhere. One of the best short films I ever saw was 3 minutes long. Put a lot of time into planning and storyboarding. And for the love of Yahweh, put the camera on a tripod. No more shakey-cam PLEASE. But this is just one guys opinion; please take it for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by ReoA
        When someone says they're looking for a short script, what length are they looking for? I saw one recently that specified 5 minutes but that seems shorter than other short films I've seen. Is there a standard length for short scripts?
        No standard length - as others have mentioned.

If someone is looking for a short that is five minutes, then that's what you should give them. Even if it seems short to you.

If someone is looking for a short that is 50 minutes, then that's what you should give them. Even if it seems long to you.

Comment

Working...
        X